cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch upgrades

VidiotsAGL
New Contributor

Hello all,

I've inherited an organization with a bunch of ICX7150 switches, most if not all have POE.
They're all on Version:08.0.80bT211 (SPS08080b.bin)

Nearly all of my experience with networking is with Cisco and I'm familiar with upgrades and the caveats. I'm not so familiar with this platform. I will continue reading documentation but I wanted to start a conversation about upgrades, caveats, and generally problems people may have during upgrades.

I'm reading 09.0.10 upgrade guide. I do plan to go to the intermediary 08.0.95g version first.
I also see the recommendation notes that say 08.0.95g is the recommended version to be on.

Is version 9 not ideal for production?

Regarding this line from "show boot"
Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.13T225
is the boot-monitor image also something I may need to upgrade?

Thanks all,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BenBeck

Hey @VidiotsAGL 

Boot code will be automatically upgraded when you use the UFI style image. Everything is bundled in one file.

The code recommendation on the product support page is correct and updated periodically. 8095 is a more mature code stream than 9.x; hence the current recommendation. I wrote a self help article about it here:

https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Self-Help/What-code-should-I-run-on-my-ICX-Check-the-...

If you have any specific questions or concerns, please let me know.

Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

BenBeck

Hey @VidiotsAGL 

Boot code will be automatically upgraded when you use the UFI style image. Everything is bundled in one file.

The code recommendation on the product support page is correct and updated periodically. 8095 is a more mature code stream than 9.x; hence the current recommendation. I wrote a self help article about it here:

https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Self-Help/What-code-should-I-run-on-my-ICX-Check-the-...

If you have any specific questions or concerns, please let me know.

thanks. I did a few tests on one switch at the edge of the network that was unused and it was pretty easy.

I don't fully understand what's all happening with the different TFTP copies though.

copy tftp system-manifest [IP] FI08095g_Manifest.txt primary
vs
copy tftp flash [IP] SPS08095gufi.bin
is the system-manifest installing some mibs and signatures for file integrity verification?

i didn't see the files from the output of 'show files /'

Manifest is somewhat of a legacy way to do things, but it does still have use case at times. Generally speaking, we recommend using UFI image.

understood.
Thanks!