cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pings from core stack failing

tommy_steele
New Contributor III

Screenshot 2024-06-11 162056.jpgStacked ICX7550-24 (2 units) running 08.0.95gT241
Pings from the switch to a server in my Azure tenant drop about 50%.  Pings from a Windows Server 2022 on the same subnet as the switch and running on ESXi hosts connected directly to the stack work 100% with no drops.  The link to the ISP (redundant handoff) is over a lag (1/3/4 and 2/3/4) both 10GigabitEthernet, both Configured speed 1Gbit, actual 1Gbit, configured duplex fdx, actual fdx.  No TX or RX errors, 0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 ignored
0 runts, 0 giants, nothing obvious.  

Looking for suggestions as to why I'm seeing this behavior, and possible remedies.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

Chandini
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Tommy_steele

Thank you for reaching us. From the problem description I understand that the subnet is same and you are seeing ping drops on a  Azure server with the switch. 

Could you help me with below details

• Was the server added newly to the network ?
  • Is it connected directly to the switch ?
  • Is it connected on a lag link or a single link ?
  • Is the switch directly connected to Azure server running on switch code or router code ?

Thanks 

Hi Chandini,

1. The server VM (Windows Server 2022) was just stood up as a jump box.  There is only one subnet at this location with the server, switch, ESXi host, etc. all on the same network.
  2. The server is on a ESXi host that is directly connected to the switch.
  3. The ESXi host has 3 NICs but not on a lag link.
  4. The switch is in a data center cabinet with a lag to the ISP.  Who knows where Azure really lives.  The switch is running router code - I believe this model only runs router code (GZS08095g).

Let me know if you need additional details.  Just can't understand why the switch drops 50% to Azure but the VM server does not.

Thanks.

Chandini
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Tommy_steele

Thank you for sharing the details with us. From the details provided Azure is not directly connected to the switch. Could you try to ping Azure device on a directly connected link and check if the ping is going through. 

I would make a map at this point of all devices in the path to reach Azure though the subnet is same and check if every device in the part shows the same behavior or if the issue is only noticed on the switch. 

Also in the path if there are lag or redundant connection it would be good to disable them during testing to check if that helps.

Also please feel free to log a case with us using below link

Thanks 

Azure is in the cloud.  There is no direct connectivity.  We route to Azure over a VPN tunnel.  The issue is only from the switch.  The server pings 100%.