cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICX7150 "Zero-Touch" Config via TFTP (DHCP Option 66) cannot log into switch after auto-provisioning

ruckgscz
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am building out a "zero-touch" template for ICX. Switches will follow DHCP Option 66 to a TFTP server, grab a config according to mac address, and get setup. HOWEVER, in testing, I cannot log into auto-provisioned switches, even when supplying a username and pass in the config.

Example, ICX7150-C12-SwitchA.B.C.cfg (on TFTP server):

hostname ICX-XYZ
username super privilege 0 create-password MYFAVORITEPASS
username super2 privilege 0 create-password MYFAVORITEPASS

7150 is factory reset.
It grabs above config.
I can see from LLDP that switch took config and updated its hostname.
I can SSH to device, HOWEVER I cannot login as super or super2 (even with default pass sp-admin).

The same occurs if I omit the username lines. That is, auto-provision config on TFTP is only:

hostname ICX-XYZ

This also prevents login using the default sp-admin password.

What is the correct procedure to set users and passwords via TFTP auto-provisioning (Option 66/150)?
I may be missing a piece of documentation, and if so, I would appreciate a pointer to get myself up to speed.

Test device:
ICX7150-C12
FastIron 8.0.95kT211

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ruckgscz
New Contributor II

Hi Chandini thanks for the response,

You are correct about bad default config. I made the assumption that TFTP auto-provision behaves the same as the copy command  (copy tftp running-config ...). It is not the same. TFTP auto-provision applies different AAA defaults.

With auto-provision it is necessary to apply an AAA rule like
    aaa authentication login default local
    (or a radius/tacacs AAA rule)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2