Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility between Cisco and Ruckus equipment

Youngjae_Choi
New Contributor

Hi.

I have a question to check.

I just started the Ruckus equipment, so I'm lacking a lot.

In an environment previously configured with Ruckus equipment, three out of five switches were replaced by Cisco due to a switch problem.

Previously, the connection between equipment and equipment was composed of UTP cables, but I am thinking of switching to optical cables this time.

I have a question.

1. Does Ruckus equipment have a dedicated GBIC?

2. I checked this and that and that and found that Lucas equipment has a license to use the L3 feature.
Do I need to buy a license to use GIBC 1G as needed?

3. Is Cisco's dedicated GBIC compatible with Ruckus equipment?

4. It has been confirmed that there is no problem in the current UTP cable connection environment, is there a problem if I change it to an optical cable?

※ Change 3 switches to Cisco in an existing Lucusz100, ICX7150 environment

Thank you.
Have a nice day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chandini
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Youngiae_Choi 

Thank you for reaching out to us

For the questions you asked below are the answers

1. Does Ruckus equipment have a dedicated GBIC? Yes 

Link to "Ruckus Ethernet optics datasheet" : https://www.commscope.com/globalassets/digizuite/61722-ds-ethernet-optics-family.pdf

2. I checked this and that and that and found that Lucas equipment has a license to use the L3 feature.
Do I need to buy a license to use GIBC 1G as needed? I think you meant "Ruckus " instead of "Lucas" for 1G connection you don't need a license

3. Is Cisco's dedicated GBIC compatible with Ruckus equipment? No , It is recommended to use Ruckus transceivers with the Ruckus devices . 3rd Party devices even if they work in case , you will not have support for them with troubleshooting or if you land in a issue with there working with Ruckus Switches support would be limited with 3rd party GBIC. 

4. It has been confirmed that there is no problem in the current UTP cable connection environment, is there a problem if I change it to an optical cable? For optical I suppose the equipment needed would be different completely . You can check with your team internally and decide based on the cost and expenses and environment you are planning to install or migrate to optics. 

Also I am adding links below that will help you to understand out products better . From the description I guess you are using 7150 switches 

Link to documentation portal :

YouTube channel : 

I hope the above information helps you. 

Thanks 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Chandini
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Youngiae_Choi 

Thank you for reaching out to us

For the questions you asked below are the answers

1. Does Ruckus equipment have a dedicated GBIC? Yes 

Link to "Ruckus Ethernet optics datasheet" : https://www.commscope.com/globalassets/digizuite/61722-ds-ethernet-optics-family.pdf

Do I need to buy a license to use GIBC 1G as needed? I think you meant "Ruckus " instead of "Lucas" for 1G connection you don't need a license

3. Is Cisco's dedicated GBIC compatible with Ruckus equipment? No , It is recommended to use Ruckus transceivers with the Ruckus devices . 3rd Party devices even if they work in case , you will not have support for them with troubleshooting or if you land in a issue with there working with Ruckus Switches support would be limited with 3rd party GBIC. 

4. It has been confirmed that there is no problem in the current UTP cable connection environment, is there a problem if I change it to an optical cable? For optical I suppose the equipment needed would be different completely . You can check with your team internally and decide based on the cost and expenses and environment you are planning to install or migrate to optics. 

Also I am adding links below that will help you to understand out products better . From the description I guess you are using 7150 switches 

Link to documentation portal :

YouTube channel : 

I hope the above information helps you. 

Thanks 

Thank you for your answer.
Have a nice day.