cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

second ethernet port on R720 not supporting NAS

peter_w_9h7tcet
Contributor II
Hi there.  Have a single ethernet line going to an outbuilding where I have an R720.  As this is the closest I have to "offsite" this is where I want to put my critical data backup NAS.  However, when plugged into the spare ethernet port in the R720, the NAS is not discoverable on my network. The PoE switch powering the R720 has plenty of power budget so this isn't the issue.

Just wondering if I need to change a setting that I am unaware of in my ZD1200 to enable a wired client on my R720.  

Many thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

to get it up & running, can you not just stick a WIFI dongle in the NAS?

I don't think it's either necessary or a great solution to buy a dongle and switch from hard wiring to wireless.  Happy to wait for my questions to be answered and to resolve this properly. Thanks anyway.

From other post
You will need atleast 35W POE just to get the second port to kick on.
The correct "solution" would be to run another cable, not try to "daisy chain" off of a AP... becasue colisions & routing will become an issue...

Then there is the "physical" limit of the wattage over the length of the cable....

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Peter,

All three possible ways to force the AP to 'at' PoE power are already shared.
  1. Using AP CLI (per AP)
  2. Using ZD GUI >> AP group
  3. Using ZD GUI >> per AP.
It depends upon the uses whether you should enable it on all the APs or just one AP or some number or APs. Though running R720 on af power will reduce its wireless capabilities/performance.

I am sharing the Power supply vs Operating Characteristics again for everyone's understanding.

Image_ images_messages_5f91c453135b77e247a24d09_f8c8f7a9fd3e45672365e545311e0f18_RackMultipart20200706103671ti9-675b2e40-4f69-47a2-9db0-c6cf89ba7fa8-129395054.png1594036034

If you look and compare 'af' vs 'at' mode then you will find both radios (2.4 and 5G) enable 1 chain, means throughput will decrease.

With 'at' power supply you get 3 benefits.

1- Both radio will work with 4x4 chains/spatial streams
2- 2nd Eth port will be enabled
3- USB port will be enabled (USB port can be used to plug a compatible IoT dongle, if this feature is required).

Further if you use PoH, then AP will work with its max power per chain, 23 dBm for 2.4 and 22 dBm for 5 G radio, unlike 18 dBm for 2.4 and 20 for 5 G radio on 'af/at'.

I strongly suggest to use 'at' power, rest is upto your use case and requirements.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn