cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unleashed VLAN on WLAN :)

filip_stokkelan
New Contributor II

Hi!

(I'm not sure about policy for reviving old threads, so instead of replying to this old thread, https://forums.ruckuswireless.com/conversations/ruckus-icx-switches/ruckus-unleashed-vlan-setup/5f91..., I'm starting a new. Feel free to move it, if that's better.)

I'm new to Ruckus, just got my hands on a ZoneFlex R510.

It's running Unleashed and I'm trying to figure out if I can fit it into existing VLAN structure.

From the above mentioned thread/topic, it seemed it should work if I;

- Connected ethernet (Port 1 or 2) to a switch port configured to delived admin VLAN untagged and the other VLAN's tagged

So I did/tried to do this, and the Ruckus AP gets an admin IP on the network interface, so far so good.

Then configuring the SSID, I enter Advanced, then WLAN Priority and then enter my office VLAN number in the Access VLAN field.

Then it does not seem to work. (I get no DHCP offer through to my client on that WLAN.)

Something I'm missing?

How/where to debug?

My switch is a non-Ruckus switch, configured to deliver admin VLAN as untagged/PVID and three other VLANS as tagged to the Ruckus AP.

(If unleashed is not really up to VLAN'ing, should I use other firmware? What software/hardware/licence is required to manage this in another fasion/way?)

EDIT:

As it seems, just after posting, I realized the switch port (with it's ingress filtering on) was set to admit only untagged and priority tagged. As soon as I switched it to admit all it started working. 🙂

11 REPLIES 11

rob_m_istij3wx4
New Contributor III

Is your access point connected to an untagged port on the switch? Unleashed works with vlans, just the management needs to be untagged.

Yes, it has the admin VLAN untagged.

I was about to update my original post just before I realized I already had a reply.

As it seems, just after posting, I realized the switch port (with it's ingress filtering on) was set to admit only untagged and priority tagged. As soon as I switched it to admit all it started working. 🙂

Now I only wonder if I need a Management Interface IP defined as well ... As there's no VLAN setting there, the management interface and regular interface would be on the same untagged VLAN ... Or can I define Port 1 and Port 2 to serve different purposes?

(Sorry if this is too basic stuff, I should get around to read more in the User's Guide etc. I just got this AP earlier today.) 🙂

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Filip,

Configuration looks good to me but I am again sharing the general points for multiVLAN configuration with Unleashed.

1. Switch port should be in trunk mode.

2. Tag any additional VLAN on which you want to configure your WLANs. AP will get IP on default/untagged VLAN and same cannot be changed.

3. Configure correct VLAN under WLAN's advanced settings. Anything other than 1 is tagged. VLAN 1 is Untagged, when configured under WLAN advanced settings.

4. If you are using relay agent/IP helper, check and make sure it is configured correctly on network nodes.

5. DHCP server pool.

If above all looks good an if you are still facing the issue, take packet capture or run Troubleshoot utility on Unleashed, see at what point connection is failing.

If discovery is sent out from the AP, issue is mostly with network or DHCP.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Wow, you guys reply quickly. 😄

As it turned out, as mentioned above, the switch port was filtering too much.