cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartZone 3.6.1.0.354 to ZoneFlex 9.8.3.0.14

justin_pardee_k
New Contributor II
I am new to Ruckus equipment and setting this up for my new house.

Running a ZoneDirector ZD1100 with the following firmware: 9.8.3.0

I've got three Ruckus 7982's that I just realized were previously used with a SmartZone controller. All three APs are using the 3.6.1.0.354 SmartZone firmware.

My main question is:
How do I convert / downgrade / switch over from SZ to ZD firmware?

I have attempted FTP, but cannot confirm if it doesn't like the fw version, the control file, or if it's something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have yet to find an answer when searching.
14 REPLIES 14

justin_pardee_k
New Contributor II
Getting the following error as I did before - assuming it is related to my FTP setup:

fw: Updating rcks_wlan.main ...
v54_fw_update: download 192.168.1.20 section=rcks_fw.main image=Image1 ctl_file=              zf7982_9.8.3.0.14.BL7 (/writable/fw/main.cntl)
Error: net_get_buf- FW_CTL_ERROR
Error: net_get_buf- FW_CTL_ERROR
**fw(17174) : CTL Get Error

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
Hi Justin,

I think I know what the problem is - 3.6.x AP code is Fully Signed (FSI) and 9.8 code is Unsigned (UI) ... this is a new security feature to prevent the loading of malicious AP code:

AP Image Signing: Unable to upgrade APs running UI (unsigned image) version of firmware to F...

A new certificate security mechanism implemented by Ruckus to prevent installing hacked or modified firmware into Access Points requires upgrading APs running older versions of code to first upgrade to an intermediate version of code before they can be upgraded to the latest fully secure versions...
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000008727

The solution is not to load 9.8 code to the 3.6 AP but you need to load an ISI image like 104.x AP code that "bridges" between the two versions:

The 104 package with all model AP' including 7982 can be downloaded here:

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/software/1017-zoneflex-solo-access-point-104-0-0-0-1347-ga-softwa...

You need to extract the 7982 image from this zip and then use the AP firmware name (.bl7) as the control file name (fw set control ZF7982_104.0.0.0.1347.bl7)

Once the AP is running 104.x code it should be able to connect to the ZD (set director ip
This version of code allows also to connect to SZ - it has both versions of control mechanisms.

I hope this (finally) gets you to your solution.

Sorry for the misstep with 9.8 code - your output had the answer under fw show all

Good luck and thanks

Albert

justin_pardee_k
New Contributor II
Albert,

You are the man!

Thank you for all the help.

ZoneDirector picked up the AP, updated the FW and it's working correctly.

Much appreciated!

ian_williams_if
New Contributor
Albert, you're a Genius!  Thank you so much.  Helped me tremendously!

Indeed he is!

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn