cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus R760 superior to R770 in some ways?

zoneMedicOrches
New Contributor

Can someone shed some light on the "new" 2x2:2 direction Ruckus is going with the R770?  Even though the 5GHz on the R770 is still 4x4:4, the 5GHz HE80 MCS11 sensitivity is worse than R760, R750, and R650 which all also have 4x4:4 in 5GHz.

Is 4K QAM and 10GBASE-T just too resource intensive / power hungry to ship an AP with 4x4:4 in all 3 band like the R760?

What was the limiting factor here preventing 4x4:4 in all 3 bands, thermal/power?  Target price point?  Standards got a little ahead of the chips?

Will an additional model such as R870 become the 4x4:4 product as we know it, positioning the R770 as more of a mid-higher tier?

I would really appreciate any commentary on this

What AP is Ruckus selling the most of / recommending to customers right now in 2024, are they happily shipping boat loads of R750 and R760 whereas the R770 is just to satisfy a very small number of customers that need a WiFi 7 sticker?

3 REPLIES 3

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hello @zoneMedicOrches

Greetings from the RUCKUS Technical Community!

Regarding your query on Wi-Fi 6/6E, RUCKUS has meticulously developed a comprehensive range of indoor Access Points (APs), encompassing both high-capacity, high-performance APs and exceptional value APs. In the context of Wi-Fi 7, we remain committed to the same approach. The R770 stands as our inaugural AP within the Wi-Fi 7 indoor AP portfolio.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Greg_WiGuy
Contributor II

Hi @zoneMedicOrches , I came here looking for answers to the same question.  It seems odd that they would pull back in hardware specs from the R760 to the R770, I wonder if 4x4 on 6GHz is being moved to the R8xx series.  Did you find a more thorough reason in your search?

Yeah it would be nice to get real answers on this.  Im sure there is good reasoning behind it, would be nice if they would just come out and explain the rationale.

As we know, WLAN chips and NICs aren't using the latest 2nm process nodes.  That just isn't how things work.  Or you'd have $5,000+ APs.

The first generation 10GB NICs in the Mac Mini caused the entire thing to overheat