cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R500 and ZD1100 - ZD Cannot See New R500 AP?

JRA
New Contributor II

Hello all,

Firstly I know this kit is old and past EoL BUT I've inherited this network and keen to make the most of it before we get chance to overhaul the WiFi.

Had an old un-adopted R500 AP in a box, looking to add it to the Zone Director. Factory reset the AP, plugged into a PoE port on the correct VLAN, would assume the Zone Director would be able to see it and I'd be waiting to approve it from Configure > Access Points but it's not showing any new/unadopted APs.

Anyone have any ideas what to try?

Thanks all! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JRA
New Contributor II

Hello both.

Firstly, thanks hugely again for the assistance. I know it's long past EoL and it's been fantastic everyone's been so helpful.

The AP is now configured and working well. As we run the management VLAN tagged on the ports, it was just a case of assigning that VLAN and IP after the AP is told to look to the Zone Director.

So the stages were:

1 - Put the AP on a port with all VLANs to (eventually) use with the SSIDs/WLANs you'd like it to "serve" plus have that port tagged in the management VLAN, and untagged with PVID in the default VLAN where it can get an IP for the sake of initial management.

2 - Set it to accept management from the Zone Director. Don't recall the menu option though. Don't reboot yet.

3 - Set the IP for the AP (the one on the management VLAN it's supposed to live on) then set eth0/whichever port as a trunk port, PVID on default VLAN.

4 - Reboot and all is well.

Thanks again all. Working fine now. 🙂

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

@JRA 

Can you login to the AP CLI while in default Vlan or any other using putty and get the output of below commands :

get version

get director

get syslog log

Best Regards

Vineet

JRA
New Contributor II

Hi there - not having much luck. Factory reset the AP and did as above but got the below:

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2022.10.06 10:50:23 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
login as:

Please login: super
Password:

Welcome to Ruckus Wireless Unleashed CLI Setup Wizard

Would you like to start the Setup Wizard? [yes/no]: no

Welcome to Ruckus Unleashed Network Command Line Interface
ruckus> get version
The command is either unrecognized or incomplete. To view a list of commands that you can run from this context, type '?' or 'help'.
ruckus> get director
The command is either unrecognized or incomplete. To view a list of commands that you can run from this context, type '?' or 'help'.
ruckus> get syslog log
ruckus>

Any use?

Thanks for sticking with me again.

EDIT:

If however I do go through the setup I can get to something in an elevated CLI which gives me the following:

Copyright(C) 2016 Ruckus Wireless, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

** Ruckus R500 Unleashed AP: 301504604118

Warning: AP is in Unleashed-Managed mode
Current or latest Unleashed: **IP ADDRESS FROM DHCP** / 58:b6:33:1d:79:f0
Any configuration changes made in CLI may conflict
with the Unleashed's management and
will cause undefined results.
rkscli: get version
Ruckus R500 Multimedia Hotzone Wireless AP
Version: 200.7.10.102.64
OK
rkscli: get director
------ Unleashed Info ------
Device role : controller-ap
Primary Controller : n/a
Secondary Controller : n/a
DHCP Opt43 Code : 3

The information of the most recent Unleashed:
[1] **IP ADDRESS FROM DHCP**

AP is under management of Unleashed: **IP ADDRESS FROM DHCP** / 58:b6:33:1d:79:f0,
Currently AP is in state: SULKING
OK
rkscli: get syslog log
logread: can't find syslogd buffer: No such file or directory
OK
rkscli:

JRA
New Contributor II

Hi - that's all below:

ruckus(ap-mode)# get version
Ruckus R500 Multimedia Hotzone Wireless AP
Version: 200.7.10.102.64
OK
ruckus(ap-mode)# get director
------ Unleashed Info ------
Device role : ap
Primary Controller : **IP OF MY ZD IS SHOWN HERE**
Secondary Controller : n/a
DHCP Opt43 Code : 3
AP is in Stand-alone mode.
OK
ruckus(ap-mode)# get syslog log
logread: can't find syslogd buffer: No such file or directory
OK
ruckus(ap-mode)#

Thanks.

@JRA 

The AP is in unleashed code "200.7" and hence will fail to update the ZD code :10.x or 9.x" while trying to connect to ZD controller. You would need to flash the AP image to 100.x code and reconnect back and it should work.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/products/68-ruckus-r500#sort=relevancy&f:@source=[Software%20Down...]

Best Regards

Vineet

JRA
New Contributor II

Thanks for that, sure we're almost there.

Ok, in the web gui and been to Administration > Upgrade > Local upgrade. Browsing to the image I get the following:

The uploaded software version is 100.1.0.0.194, doesn't match with Master AP's 200.7.10.102.64, please choose the same version as Master AP.

Is there an easy way to downgrade this?

Again thanks much there. 🙂