cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R500 and ZD1100 - ZD Cannot See New R500 AP?

JRA
New Contributor II

Hello all,

Firstly I know this kit is old and past EoL BUT I've inherited this network and keen to make the most of it before we get chance to overhaul the WiFi.

Had an old un-adopted R500 AP in a box, looking to add it to the Zone Director. Factory reset the AP, plugged into a PoE port on the correct VLAN, would assume the Zone Director would be able to see it and I'd be waiting to approve it from Configure > Access Points but it's not showing any new/unadopted APs.

Anyone have any ideas what to try?

Thanks all! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JRA
New Contributor II

Hello both.

Firstly, thanks hugely again for the assistance. I know it's long past EoL and it's been fantastic everyone's been so helpful.

The AP is now configured and working well. As we run the management VLAN tagged on the ports, it was just a case of assigning that VLAN and IP after the AP is told to look to the Zone Director.

So the stages were:

1 - Put the AP on a port with all VLANs to (eventually) use with the SSIDs/WLANs you'd like it to "serve" plus have that port tagged in the management VLAN, and untagged with PVID in the default VLAN where it can get an IP for the sake of initial management.

2 - Set it to accept management from the Zone Director. Don't recall the menu option though. Don't reboot yet.

3 - Set the IP for the AP (the one on the management VLAN it's supposed to live on) then set eth0/whichever port as a trunk port, PVID on default VLAN.

4 - Reboot and all is well.

Thanks again all. Working fine now. 🙂

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Hi @JRA 

Can you perform an F/D on this AP and flash again.

Best Regards

Vineet

@JRA 

Do let me know if the AP is connected now or we could look into more options.

Best Regards

Vineet

JRA
New Contributor II

Hello there.

Yes I have the AP in the ZoneDirector now, or rather can consistently get it to be "seen" by the ZD.

Oddly enough had two former Ruckus engineers look at it, but we still can't get it to provision correctly. The APs run tagged on their own management VLAN, and the network ports they are on are also tagged on the VLANs they're supposed to assign to clients through their WLANs. It's a bit complex here. I think what I'd be looking to do is, after the adoption stage, do *something* to the AP (probably on the CLI) which would be akin to "here's your IP address, also need you to understand tagged packets on the management VLAN" then restart it.

If you're still with me and you really don't mind I'll proceed (and be immensely grateful also) but this one looks to be tricky.

Thanks though for all the help so far too. Had been above and beyond. 🙂

Hi @JRA,

Confirm the below details:

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

JRA
New Contributor II

Hello both.

Firstly, thanks hugely again for the assistance. I know it's long past EoL and it's been fantastic everyone's been so helpful.

The AP is now configured and working well. As we run the management VLAN tagged on the ports, it was just a case of assigning that VLAN and IP after the AP is told to look to the Zone Director.

So the stages were:

1 - Put the AP on a port with all VLANs to (eventually) use with the SSIDs/WLANs you'd like it to "serve" plus have that port tagged in the management VLAN, and untagged with PVID in the default VLAN where it can get an IP for the sake of initial management.

2 - Set it to accept management from the Zone Director. Don't recall the menu option though. Don't reboot yet.

3 - Set the IP for the AP (the one on the management VLAN it's supposed to live on) then set eth0/whichever port as a trunk port, PVID on default VLAN.

4 - Reboot and all is well.

Thanks again all. Working fine now. 🙂