cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AP unleashed set up advice

peter_w_9h7tcet
Contributor II

Hi all.  

A few years ago I set up a zone director with 5 R720 APs. Works a treat in my home and this is the first time I have actually had stable wifi. Im a Ruckus fan as a result.

I have a holiday home overseas that is a 4 bedroom semi detached house with very little garden. Rebuilding it right now. I am thinking that it will need 2-3 APs.  As it’s a while since I did my Ruckus AP research I am back with a few questions.

1. I intend not to use a ZD as this is a smaller scale installation. I guess this means I need the “unleashed” option, and WW for overseas rather than US in the serial number?

2. Last time around I worked out that 720 meant better than 520. Now I am very confused as there are Ruckus APs around of so many different numbers.  I usually look for a bargain by buying last year’s model (or older) in order to get a good quality AP that is not too expensive.  What I don’t know is how to compare between models - for example a 750 versus a 520.  Is there any resource that makes this clear?

3. Last time around I tried a Ruckus PoE switch, which isn’t plugnplay and caused problems. Is there yet a Ruckus plugnplay switch? Can Ruckus APs all run without PoE and with a PSU? Think the R720 can.  

Sorry for the basic questions and many thanks!!

5 REPLIES 5

@peter_w_9h7tcet 

R720 is 802.11ac Wave 2 access point whereas R650 is an 802.11ax AP.

Wi-Fi 6 can transfer data at up to 10Gbps, compared with max speeds of around 3.5Gbps for 802.11ac. In addition, Wi-Fi 6 aims to relieve network congestion, provide greater client capacity, and reduce client power consumption. You can actually check on open platforms like google of the benifits of wifi6 APs over wifi5

Best Regards

Vineet