cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Support - ZF7341

asad_faraz
New Contributor II
We have a 4 ZF7341 AP.. I have to bridge my all ZF7341 (Access point) can someone please guide me . what configuration should be use . I cannot find any documentation to support this - in fact most seems to suggest that we have to use controllers for this purpose as 7300 Series does not support bridge option. Please help.
11 REPLIES 11

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
You probably misunderstood me. You can MESH 7341s, but you need a ZoneDirector. You always need a ZD for MESH.

And if you use MESH use a dual-band AP. 7372, 7982 and R700 are new and 7363 is an older dual-band model

asad_faraz
New Contributor II
Thx for your support 🙂 basically what confused me is the 7300 Series document.. Please check

"ZoneFlex 7300’s can be deployed across any L2/L3 network and can bridge traffic
onto the local network, tunnel to a central location using L2TP
or PPPoE, or route between the WAN and NAT’ed private
subnets. It can be wired to the network or connect wirelessly
by meshing to another AP when Ethernet cabling is unavailable.
When used with the ZoneDirector, each ZoneFlex 7300 is
automatically configured through the network making
deployment quick and easy."

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
"Bridge" in that context is bridging from the wireless LAN to the wired network.

Can you give us a better idea of what you need? ZoneFlex documentation is here: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/do...

jelle_alten_606
Contributor
Just to clarify bridging and meshing:

Bridging as described in the document is where the AP is not doing NAT, DHCP or routing between your client devices and the local network. So it is being transparent, not creating a different lan for users of the access point, but extending the existing lan to the users wirelessly.

Meshing, also kinda known as wireless bridge, is where one AP is connected to another AP, not using the wired lan, but using a wireless connection. Usually this is useful when the second AP is too far away from the first one to be connected by wire to the same lan. Meshing needs a zone director to help the APs to set up the link, encryption and find the best meshing routes possible. The APs will talk to each other using meshing, and also talk to the client devices to service the lan. When access points have two radios (2.4GHz and 5GHz), the can do the meshing on one radio, while servicing the client devices on the other. This is more efficient than doing it all on one radio.

There are also point-to-point sets (P2P sets) of two APs that only do the wireless bridging, like the Ruckus 7731 APs. You cannot connect to them wirelessly as a client, but they will create a wireless bridge for you. These wireless bridges don't need a zone director. The zone director won't even recognize them.

One more note: different APs have their own setting of which radio they can use for meshing. APs that have 5GHz radio will always use 5Ghz for meshing, while the ones without 5Ghz can only use 2.4 GHz for meshing. So a 7341 won't mesh with a 7363. There is one exception, but shhh, I won't tell...

asad_faraz
New Contributor II
thx for your reply, infect I am going to procure 3 AP 7372 and want to wireless bridge b/w them. can you please help us out . After gone through your comments should I go 4 7731. is this model support wireless bridge. I don't want to use Zone Director in any case. Please suggest.

" There are also point-to-point sets (P2P sets) of two APs that only do the wireless bridging, like the Ruckus 7731 APs. You cannot connect to them wirelessly as a client, but they will create a wireless bridge for you. These wireless bridges don't need a zone director. The zone director won't even recognize them".