cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automated Network Discovery of APs

matthew_ausmus
New Contributor II
I'm in the process of deploying Ruckus Wireless in a school district. 300-400 APs controlled by a ZD 3000 controller.

To automate my documentation, I'm considering purchasing a network device discovery and mapping tool to automate my Visio diagrams. Namely, NetBrain.

What I'm wondering is what is available for APs controlled by a ZD for scanning purposes?

I know that APs can be logged into via SSH but is SNMP available on the AP so it can be snmp-walked?

Any additional information would be helpful.

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
Yes, APs do support SNMP. I believe you'll be able to query the ZD for connected AP's and use that for discovery.

matthew_ausmus
New Contributor II
Thanks for the help.

Does the ZD push the SNMP community values to the AP?

Basically, the software walks the network based on a subnet you give it to determine the devices out there. It can then use SSH and/or SNMP for discovery purposes. I can import MIBs into the software if necessary. The software also uses LLDP/CDP but I found that these are not supported.

So querying the ZD wouldn't really help in the case unless I'm misunderstanding.

mitchell_axtell
Contributor II
The ZD does push the community string out to the APs, so they will respond to SNMP.