cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What device to split the VLAN traffic from Ruckus?

bernard_hunt_4o
New Contributor II
I have a ZD1100 that I need to convert to using VLANs. That's easy enough to tag each ssid to the correct VLAN. All the traffic comes out of the ZD1100 on one connection so I need a way to split that traffic by VLAN onto two different network connections. What is the preferred way to do this? Will a simple VLAN aware switch like a Neatgear GS105E work? I've found lot's of descriptions on how to segment to VLAN inside of Ruckus but nothing on how to separate it onto separation connections.
5 REPLIES 5

albert_pierson
RUCKUS Team Member
Hi Bernard
I was just providing you how to configure the ZD to configure the AP to allow using VLAN1 tagged - but it is better that you leave it default and use a different tag on the WLAN

But the switch ports that need to have VLAN2 configured as trunk with this VLAN 2 as  tagged are the ports the A's are connecting to as all traffic is locally bridged at AP and not tunneled.  The AP tags traffic incoming on the WLAN/SSID which are then bridged out the AP WAN port as tagged.

A way to test that this port and the AP are configured correctly is to configure the second port of the AP (not the WAN port used to connect to network) to be an access port in VLAN 2 using the configuration page above.  If the AP switch port is configured to carry VLAN 2 as truncked and DHCP services are available on that VLAN then plugging a PC into this second port on the AP should put the PC into VLAN 2 and it should get an IP.  The second port on the AP configured as access in VLAN 2 will take the untagged packets from the PC and then tag them into the configured VLAN on that AP port.  These tagged packets from the PC will egress the AP WAN port as tagged in VLAN 2 allowing DHCP process to operate.

I hope this is clear and I apologize for any previous misunderstanding.

Thanks

Albert