cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the disadvantages to enabling mesh?

mario_gonzalez_
New Contributor II
I understand that the upstream access points will have to handle the load from any mesh-connected APs, but is this the only disadvantage?
9 REPLIES 9

primoz_marinsek
Valued Contributor
You can however disable MESH manually on a per AP basis, but think wired first, MESH as last resort.

simon_elliott_6
New Contributor II
Note that enabling it and using it are 2 different things. If you enable it (from factory default state) - then you can't disable it with also doing a factory reset. So even if you don't use it in your network topology it's "active". This will affect how an AP behaves when it's ethernet goes down for example (it will try to mesh..)

I would say leave it off (I think we finally got this changed in the ezsetup default..) unless you know you need it - you can always turn it on later, you just can't turn it off (easily..)

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
Note that enabling it and using it are 2 different things. If you enable it (from factory default state) - then you can't disable it with also doing a factory reset. So even if you don't use it in your network topology it's "active". This will affect how an AP behaves when it's ethernet goes down for example (it will try to mesh..)

I would say leave it off (I think we finally got this changed in the ezsetup default..) unless you know you need it - you can always turn it on later, you just can't turn it off (easily..)

mario_gonzalez_
New Contributor II
I was thinking that if I just enabled it, it would do nothing until I needed it :)
Then I could test it and still have my network intact without having to reset everything to turn it off.

From the recommendations it seems like it is best to leave it off until I know that I will be using it.

jelle_alten_606
Contributor
If it is on, and not disabled on each AP, the APs will keep looking for other APs that might need meshing, even if all are wired. So it will steal CPU cycles from the APs and add noise.