cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartway/Bonjour Gateway Setup/Best Practices?

tim_kamps
New Contributor
Are there any guides to setting up the Smartway/Bonjour Gateway? I am looking for tips or best practices for implementing this. I know the ZD needs to be on a "trunked" port, but what about the APs. Seems each switch manufacturer uses slightly different terminology.

Thanks!
Tim
8 REPLIES 8

Windows operating systems use network discovery mechanisms that do not use bonjour. Even though some of them use multicast or broadcast, they are not 'bonjour based'. This means our bonjour gateway can't help the Macs discover it across a router boundary.

I *think* there's some trick of connecting a printer to an Apple Airport Express and then the Airport turns into a Bonjour print server (at least this article makes it sound that way... http://benmetcalfe.com/blog/2006/11/b...

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
Let me prod the product manager on the docs. I believe we got a final version (finally!).

If that Windows printer isn't itself providing a Bonjour/mDNS service, our gateway won't help. I think Apple provides some sort of utility to set that up (Bonjour for Windows..) but that would have to be working first.

Lastly - with our new support portal, you don't need to share accounts. You can sign up for your own and then "linkup" with Will so that you both have the same permissions and access to cases, etc. You'll get presented those options after you sign in for the first time.

Did you "prod?"