cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus As DHCP Server ????

ehctechy730
New Contributor II
Can the ruckus zonedirector 3000 be used in a large wireless environment? It was an option that was brought up today during our pre-install discussions. I was under the understanding that the the zd dhcp server is very limited and not recommended. We have a dhcp running and I was going to use that until this option was presented. In a way it would seem easier to allow the ruckus equipment to handle the wireless side. I just don't see it happening though. We are looking at 4 ssid's and the equipment doesn't seem to be able to provide dhcp scopes. I don't want to find out later it won't work and I have to scramble to get our dhcp server configured.

Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

hoang_tung_7073
New Contributor III
Hi,
I dont think using DHCP by ZD3000 is a good option.
Even Ruckus just recommend that only use DHCP built-in in a lab or small environment.
What is your requirement for the wireless? Perhaps I can help.

ehctechy730
New Contributor II
I was planning to use our windows dhcp server, but when using ZD as the wireless dhcp server was presented by the installers it seemed to make sense. From what I read though, it didn't seem like a good option.You confirmed what I was thinking. We are replacing our current wireless network with Ruckus. I am trying to get ground work layed so that when they come in to do the install things are in place(dhcp, vlans, etc..)

michael_brado
Esteemed Contributor II
The local DHCP server on ZD can only provide IPs from it's subnet, and is really intended
for bringing up local APs, or use in a limited scale SMB where everyone is trusted.  We
recommend keeping ZD/APs on their own VLAN/subnet, and assigning client VLANs to
your WLAN traffic.

For true Enterprise+ deployments, a company should plan to provide DHCP server(s) for
each client VLAN.  Often, these are Win servers with AD/AAA as well.

ehctechy730
New Contributor II
That was my thinking. Vlans on the switches with scopes for each created on our current dhcp server. Thank you