cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

¿How adding Ruckus 7962 to ZoneDirector in different subnet?

deyvis_molina
New Contributor
hi. I have an AP in one subnet and I want it add to my ZD in another subnet.

I read that can be possible via CLI (TELNET) but, I don't find the commands.

Help me
6 REPLIES 6

deyvis_molina
New Contributor
I respond to myself:

Via putty in the AP.

-set director ip XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

then reboot.

harish_kumar_56
New Contributor III
Hi Deyvis,

It's perfect.

Please find the some more information on assign an AP to register to a specific Zone Director.

There are several different ways to make sure an Access Point connects to a specific Zone Director. The key point is that the Access Point discovers and requests to join a Zone Director, so the methods depend on the design of your network and controlling the Zone Director discovery protocols.

If the Access Points are in the same subnet, they will do a Layer 2 LWAP discovery, and automatically find all zone directors in the same subnet. The Zone Director has an auto allow feature that when enabled will automatically respond back to the Access Point with the number of open licenses for AP’s that are available. If multiple Zone Directors are on the same subnet with auto allow (configured on the Configure :: Access Point page) respond, the Access Point will choose to join the Zone Director with the most available leases. This system will balance the AP’s across the Zone Directors. If you want to specify which Access Point goes to which Zone Director, you can disable “auto-allow” and manually allow the Access Points one by one in the Zone Director Monitor Access Point Screen. If an Access Point has joined a Zone Director and you no longer want it controlled by that Zone Director, you can connect to the Access Points GUI directly (browse to the AP IP address, login is the same as the controlling Zone Director) and reset it to factory defaults. Then you must delete the AP configuration from the Zone Director before the AP reboots.

You can manually configure each Access Point with a static primary and secondary Zone Director IP using the AP CLI command: set director ip primaryip secondaryip . This disables the layer 2 LWAP discovery and forces the AP to first the primary, and if listed to the secondary if the primary is not available. If you have enough licenses on each Zone Director you could use this to set up some AP to one ZD, some to the other as primary, flipping the secondary’s as redundant.

For Access Points connected to the Zone Director via Layer 3, or from other subnets. Then there are four methods of provisioning the Access Point for Layer 3 discovery and connectivity. The simplest method is to first connect the Access Points to the Zone Director via Layer 2, so that they learn the Zone Directors IP address. They can join via auto-allow or manual allow as set up above. Starting in version 8.1 you can also define a primary and secondary Zone Director to be provisioned into an Access Point once it joins and gets provisioned. But if you are manually load sharing between ZD’s, this feature will not work as once an Access Point connects to a secondary Zone Director, it will learn the new settings from that Zone Director which if now set as the primary in this configuration it will stick with this until it becomes unavailable. This will end up with all Access Points on one Zone Director until it becomes unavailable. The second automatic way to teach an Access Point how to discover the Zone Director is by configuring the DHCP server that provides management IP addresses to the Access Points with DHCP option 43, this teaches the Access point a primary and optionally a secondary IP address. You can use this to set all Access Points in a given Subnet to the same primary Zone Director, and have access to a redundant Zone Director if available with enough licenses. The last automatic method is to use DNS, which also requires the AP to get an IP from DHCP which includes the local domain name. The AP will then do a DNS lookup for zonedirector.localdomain.lan . Advanced DNS may allow you to manage which AP goes to which ZD, but this is out of the Ruckus control or design.

Finally, for Layer 3 operation, manually configuring each AP with the correct ZD address using the CLI[set director ip XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX ] is the only way to configure an AP already installed in a different subnet, and once configured manually, disables the automatic methods above including Layer 2 LWAP discovery. This is the surest way to direct Access Points to specific Zone Directors.

I hope this is helpful.

wong_kok_min
New Contributor
May I know if AP and ZD is in different subnet, can we still be able to connect AP and ZD if we have forgotten the AP's username and password?

keith_redfield
Valued Contributor II
If you do a hard reset on the AP (reverting it to default login) then the ZD will be able to control the AP. If you don't have physical access I'm sorry I don't have an answer.