cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure a Linux dhcp server with option 43 to use with Zonedirector/Flexmaster

scott_taylor_60
New Contributor
This was nowhere online and Ruckus' support docs only have instructions for Windows. Their support guy gave this to me and I'm passing it on for future generations flailing with this.

Using Redhat 6.3 and regular dhcpd that comes with it. This is the /etc/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf. Overwrite and restart dhcpd with 'service dhcpd restart' and voila!

##############################################################
# DHCP Server Configuration file.
# see /usr/share/doc/dhcp*/dhcpd.conf.sample
# see 'man 5 dhcpd.conf'
#
#####
#Define a vendor option space globally for Ruckus
option space Ruckus;
#Sub option 3 is for Zone Director Discovery, which is comma separated IP address string.
option Ruckus.ZoneDirector code 3 = string;
#FM is option 1, it is URL in string format
option Ruckus.FMUrl code 1 = string;
####

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
option routers 192.168.1.1;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option domain-search "ruckus.local";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;

###To Match if AP sends "Ruckus CPE"
class "RuckusCPE" {
match if option vendor-class-identifier = "Ruckus CPE";
vendor-option-space Ruckus;
# Please edit the IP address(a.b.c.d) to match the Zone Director's IP . If you don't want to give zone director then remove the next line.
option Ruckus.ZoneDirector "a.b.c.d";
# Pleas edit XXXXXXX to provide the correct URL of FlexMaster, if you need to give the FlexMaster details to AP to be managed by FlexMaster.

option Ruckus.FMUrl "xxxxxxxxxxxxx";

}

# Some version of software on AP sends "Ruckus" instead of "Ruckus CPE". So I am repeating the same block below to match on "Ruckus"

class "Ruckus" {
match if option vendor-class-identifier = "Ruckus";
vendor-option-space Ruckus;
# Please edit the IP address(a.b.c.d) to match the Zone Director's IP . If you don't want to give zone director then remove the next line.
option Ruckus.ZoneDirector "a.b.c.d";
# Pleas edit XXXXXXX to provide the correct URL of FlexMaster, if you need to give the FlexMaster details to AP to be managed by FlexMaster.

option Ruckus.FMUrl "xxxxxxxxxxxxx";

}

range 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.100;
}

##############################################################
5 REPLIES 5

martin_leduc
New Contributor
HI,

Really interesting but there is one thing I dont really understand about the Sub-Option. As defined into the RFC2132, the option 43 doesn't seems like to be able to have sub-options, like the 122 for the VoIP with CableLabs.

So this means that the DHCP server aren't supposed to handle the 43.3 sub options OR we have to encapsulate it in RAW DATA. So, I understand when I'm following the Documentation ZD User Guide, Page 33-34 Option 2 and try to understand the example:

If the there are two ZoneDirectors with IP Addresses 192.168.0.1 and 192,168.0.20, then the value will be « 192.168.0.10,192.168.0.20 » and the length is 25 (hex value 0x19).

There is missing a critical part of the example... the ANSWER : « And the appropriate computed Value is : ????????????????? »

Using Wireshark to understand the requirement, I found the required value in the filter "bootp.option.request_list_item" and 43 are there. Not 43.3, so the sub-option have to be encapsulate into the RAW Data.

So if my ZD3025 are located at the IP 172.17.0.2 (0xAC110002) and the length of my String is 10 (0x0A), the encapsulated value of the sub-option 3 (0x03) is????

My guest: 0x030AAC110002

Doesn't work :(

Need help please!