cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WPA3-Enterprise not working (R710) but both WPA2-Enterpise and WPA3-Personal (SAE) work great

BobaEnjoyer
New Contributor II

AP:  Ruckus R710
Unleashed:  200.13.6.1.319 200.14.6.1.179

Client devices tested:

Google Pixel 7 Pro phone on Android 13
This is the latest Pixel phone released in late 2022 with the latest version of Android.

When Unleashed WLAN is set to:
* WPA3-Enterprise:  fails to add network profile on phone
* WPA2/3-Enterprise:  partial success.  Phone shows "WPA3-Enterprise" but Unleashed shows "WPA2" and "EAP"
* WPA3-Personal:  success

Google Pixel 2 phone on Android 11
This is an older 2017 phone.

* WPA2/3-Enterprise:  success.  Phone shows "WPA2/WPA3-Enterprise" and Unleashed shows "WPA2" and "EAP"

Dell laptop with Intel AX210 on Windows 10 Pro 22H2
I've verified from searches that this version of Windows 10 supports WPA3-Enterprise.  The Intel AX210 (WiFi 6E) adapter supports WPA3-Enterprise as well.

* WPA3-Enterprise:  success!  Shows as WPA3-Enterprise in Windows, and Unleashed shows "WPA3" and "EAP."  Edit:  The throughput is abysmally slow.  Like 1 Mbps down / 0.5 Mbps up instead of 200 Mbps down / 20 Mbps up.  I've since reverted to WPA2-Enterprise.  This could be an Intel AX210 driver problem or a Windows 10 22H2 problem or a Ruckus Unleashed problem.
* WPA2/3-Enterprise:  partial success.  I'm able to create a WPA2-Enterprise profile in Windows and connect to it.  Windows shows "WPA2-Enterprise," and Unleashed also shows "WPA2" and "FT"

Edited to add:  I'm using an external RADIUS server for authentication, not the local database.

Edit 2:  It turns out that WPA2/WPA3 Enterprise Transition Mode (aka "Mixed Mode") is what's giving the most problems.  I created two separate SSIDs to work around this:  one SSID for WPA3-Enterprise only and another SSID for WPA2-Enterprise only.

Issues remaining:
1.  WPA2/WPA3 Enterprise Mixed or Transition Mode is a bit fuzzy

1 REPLY 1

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hello @BobaEnjoyer,

Please refer my response below.

Google Pixel 7 Pro phone on Android 13
This is the latest Pixel phone released in late 2022 with the latest version of Android.

[Syamantak]This isn't a problem on Access Point side, check with device manufacturer .
* WPA2/3-Enterprise:  partial success.  Phone shows "WPA3-Enterprise" but Unleashed shows "WPA2" and "EAP"

[Syamantak] Usually what encryption UE will use depends upon the client's initial connection with the AP. If client prefers WPA2 over WPA3, AP cannot do but honor the connection request. By taking a OTA packet capture you can find out if client is sending connection request with WPA2 or 3.

For your other two setup testing, answer remain the same. Its a client side problem, not AP side. If client will end the connection request for WPA3, AP will honor it. In mixed mode, client seems preferring WPA2 over WPA3.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn