cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unleashed setup without wifi?

charles_sprickm
New Contributor III
I am starting to need to setup some Ruckus "Unleashed" units remotely.  I have VPN access into the location where the setup happens, and in the past I was able to simply setup a DHCP server, plug in all the Ruckus units, connect to the web interface and configure away.

It seems like somewhere along the line, the ability to configure from the LAN side went away and the only option to setup is to connect via wifi.  There must be some method I'm missing to connect from the LAN side and continue the setup...  It would be a serious PITA going forward if I had to either go onsite or walk a non-tech user through the setup wizard when I'm already set for remote access...
12 REPLIES 12

I don't have an SE, nor a paid contract of any sort.  So if you care about our small amount of business, please pass this on and skip whatever bureaucracy is in place to filter such a request.

I'd also appreciate some information on why this functionality was removed and what the reasoning is for only allowing WLAN-side access.

No functionality has been removed.  Initial Unleashed network setup on the first AP, has to be configured thru the default AP SSID.
All subsequent Unleashed code APs added to the LAN from then on, will be automatically recognized/upgraded (if necessary), and
configured by the initial Master AP. 

Even with only guest access, you're welcome to browse the Product docs on the Support website, and here is the Unleashed page:
https://support.ruckuswireless.com/product_families/19-unleashed

We're about to release version 200.2.9.13.186 that adds support for R710, T710, T710s model APs.

If you like Unleashed features/functions, you should purchase Unleashed (9U1) AP ordering part numbers.
These APs will not join existing ZoneDirector or SmartZone networks, but will auto-connect/upgrade with
*existing* Unleashed networks (after the 1st AP is configured wirelessly).

Standard ZoneFlex (901) ordering part number AP software, comes with a 104.x version of AP code, that can
join either ZoneDirector or SmartZone controllers, or operate in Solo/Standalone mode.

And as you admit you have no support, which is necessary for Software downloads and Knowledge Base Articles,
I'll share the details of KBA-5204 that contract customers can view here, which forewarns that intial Unleashed
networks cannot be configured remotely:  https://support.ruckuswireless.com/answers/000005204

Title/Question
Can I setup a Ruckus Unleashed network remotely?

Summary
The initial configuration of the Unleashed Master AP *requires* that the user be connected wirelessly to the AP's Configure.Me-XXYYZZ SSID.

Customer Environment
SMB customer deploying Ruckus Unleashed controller-less wireless network, may have satellite offices that need APs.

Root Cause
The configuration of the initial Master AP for a Ruckus Unleashed network *requires* that the user be connected to the AP's Configure.Me-XXYYZZ SSID.

Troubleshooting Steps
Customers can identify IP address of Ruckus Unleashed AP(s) from DHCP lease table, and may attempt to access and configure it with HTTPS.

You can get an initial setup screen, but cannot get past the initial configured screen without being connected to the AP's Configure.Me-XXYYZZ SSID

ResolutionThe point and purpose of this article is to explain that the network administrator cannot be remote from the site where the *initial* Ruckus Unleashed Master AP is configured, and will need to configure via a wireless connection.
--

1.  Ruckus Unleashed networking has been simplified for quick and easy deployment and management, but requires that the first AP setup, which will become the Master AP, needs to be configured wirelessly, thru the AP's Configure.Me-XXYYZZ SSID that a factory defaulted AP running Ruckus Unleashed firmware will advertise.

Once connected to a customer LAN with an active DHCP server, a Ruckus Unleashed AP will get it's IP from the DHCP scope.  The customer does not need to find it's IP address from the DHCP lease table in order to use HTTPS for configuration, but does need to know the last half of the AP MAC Address. 

Users *must* configure the *initial* Ruckus Unleashed Master AP through it's wireless Configure.Me-XXYYZZ SSID, where XXYYZZ correspond to the last half of the AP MAC address.
ie.  AP MAC = 58:B6:33:01:D5:10 would advertise it's default setup SSID of Configure.Me-01D510.

Once connected to this Open SSID, opening a browser to 'unleashed.ruckuswireless.com' URL will take you to the AP's setup wizard.

If not connected wirelessly, the wizard will not continue after trying to click Next on this screen.

2.  Once the Ruckus Unleashed Master AP *has* been configured, additional Unleashed APs added to the Layer2 VLAN will automatically recognize the Master AP's existence, and will become Standby Master AP (2nd Unleashed AP to join) or Member APs in the Unleashed network.

Regarding remote/satellite office deployments, if a company admin has setup up the Ruckus Unleashed Master AP, and extends the Layer2 VLAN to remote/satellite offices, new Unleashed APs installed there will automatically connect to the network.  (only L2 currently)

This really helps convince me to go with other vendors where possible.  I don't understand why an official rep needs to be combative.  Great, you win!  Your product doesn't allow something that it used to!  Rather than taking this attitude, how about you grab an SE or anyone above your pay grade and kindly pass on my request for non-wifi setup.  This is not rocket science, and I don't really feel you're the one to be telling me whether this feature is useful for me (or other customers).

I'm also unclear on the support issues - I can download software with my login, and I have not paid anything.  Is this a mistake?

I'm sorry you disagree with the Product Line Manager (not me) who designed the Unleashed SMB product
to require wireless initial configuration.  As a beta tester, I was one of the first to wonder why this requirement
too, which as we've been discussing, means someone must configure the network locally, and cannot be done
remotely.  I could not setup Unleashed in the lab without using my laptop wireless interface. 
However, some have found and report that the Configure.Me-XXYYZZ open auth SSID and 'unleashed.ruckuswireless.com'
URL admin access to be better than manual IP hard configuration.