cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unleashed Transmit Power

atma_tiwana
New Contributor III

Hi,

I was looking at options on unleashed on my R500 and saw Transmit power was set to auto. 

But according to the link below it should not be in Auto.

Can someone confirm this is still the case?

https://docs.ruckuswireless.com/unleashed/200.1.9.12/c-SelfHealing.html

9 REPLIES 9

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Atma,

It seems you are referring the online document for Unleashed 200.1.

Is your AP is on 200.1? If yes, upgrade it.

Auto is the default for all the APs when configured and managed by a controller and this means full power, until ACS feature (Auto Cell Size) is enabled. ACS is only supported on newer version.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

@syamantak_omer Thanks.

I have the latest firmware and I was wondering about transmit power and that was all I could find about it.

When you say managed by a controller are you referring to a unleashed controller and /or a zone controller ZD or whatever they are called. ?

Any controller based APs including Unleashed.

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

About "screaming" signals. Theoretically it is a solid reasoning. But actually -- it is not.

Idea is that unnecessary high signal will create interference to neighbors. Actually it is not really the case. In practice neighbor networks usually have levels -70 -- -80 dbm, often -- even higher, so if your AP power is lowered for 6 db, it is still much over sensitivity level, and you'll get same interference. So in such environment   the only question is how many free airtime is there, as all devices on same channel share same airtime. When AP power is higher, data download happens much faster (because higher modulation is used), so it takes less time, which gives more room for all other clients. On power used by clients (by far bigger number than APs) you have no control whatever anyway. 

So in real life lowering AP power almost never improves things, except some specific situations. Changing channels may have much higher impact.

This is actually correct for all vendors, but especially for Ruckus, because of Ruckus Beamflex which improves signal in client direction and makes transmitted signal levels much lower for other directions.

@eizens_putnins nicely explained!

Also, for the best and optimized performance, a site survey is the kay.

Syamantak Omer
Follow me on LinkedIn