cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus Unleashed slow speeds

adrian_minea
New Contributor II
Hi everyone, I just replaced a Draytek Wifi network with 4 Ruckus R510 acess points. The problem that I'm having is while hardwired into the switch where the access points are connected I'm getting 400-450 Mbps download and upload, I'm using a small Cisco 10P POE Switch connected straight to the router on a different VLAN. If I connect to any of the access points on WIFI I only get 200-220 Mbps, being next to the access point. I only enabled the 5G network and all the channels are set on auto. Is there anything that I can change to see if it improves the speed on WIFI ? If I was to use a Zone Director and flash the firmware, will it make any difference?
Thank you
31 REPLIES 31

Having to rely on Ruckus Unleashed AP's during this time has been a challenge.  Especially during video conferences, the connection regularly drops completely.  We know it's Ruckus because the others in the conference do not see this issue as we do.  We tested this with other offices.  Buying Ruckus AP's is a mistake and I would be very surprised if Ruckus survives this.  We advise all our customers to absolutely no way ever to invest in Ruckus AP's...  Sad but true.  We've used them for years.  They seem incapable of solving the download speed issue / don't care.  Either way, there are plenty of other companies that do.

philip_march
New Contributor III
Without wasting any more time taking to Ruckus Support, (- Not that this is the support team’s fault but the engineering and testing failure of their peers -) Does anyone know with certainty that rolling back the firmware will give these Unleashed AP’s their performance back? And if anyone knows this with first hand experience, what version of firmware? Otherwise, I’m afraid I have to box these up and return them.

Yeah Which Ruckus APs do you have? hopefuly R510/R610/R710..... forget the R720 for now

hayward_kong
Contributor III
Yeah Which Ruckus APs do you have? hopefuly R510/R610/R710..... forget the R720 for now

philip_march
New Contributor III
(posted in other threads as well in case someone is looking for workaround)

In the meantime, while we wait (and hope) for a firmware fix that works, here is the current workaround:

1) Downgrade the APs to 200.6.10.1.312 (download from Ruckus and select as manual upgrade).

2) Confirm APs are negotiating 802.3at not 802.af PoE.  (Assuming PoE source is PoE+.). If APs fail to negotiate 802.3at, speeds will be crippled - particularly the R720.  If needed, force the APs to 802.3at via command line.  (instructions available from Ruckus website, or I can provide)

Kudos to Basavaraj in Ruckus TAC for working with me for many hours of testing to get to the above temporary solution. 

Still baffling to me how this problem made it out the door for two major firmware releases why there was no knowledge base with support for a workaround.  A black eye for Ruckus engineering.  I hope they can rebuild the trust they had previously.