cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus Unleashed slow speeds

adrian_minea
New Contributor II
Hi everyone, I just replaced a Draytek Wifi network with 4 Ruckus R510 acess points. The problem that I'm having is while hardwired into the switch where the access points are connected I'm getting 400-450 Mbps download and upload, I'm using a small Cisco 10P POE Switch connected straight to the router on a different VLAN. If I connect to any of the access points on WIFI I only get 200-220 Mbps, being next to the access point. I only enabled the 5G network and all the channels are set on auto. Is there anything that I can change to see if it improves the speed on WIFI ? If I was to use a Zone Director and flash the firmware, will it make any difference?
Thank you
31 REPLIES 31

taylor_wall
New Contributor III
I'm getting terrible speeds with an R720, and even worst with the latest firmware. Perhaps porting DD-WRT would be acceptable at this point with how long this has  been going on?

If there's a router by Ruckus without any of these firmware issues, I'd love to know. I should be getting 900mb/s+ on the newest iPhones and Macbooks in the same room as the router, but this doesn't seem to be the case. (And because it's Ruckus, I should also be able to split that bandwidth between 100+ devices without issues.)

michiel_schuite
New Contributor III
Hi Taylor, the best solution is to sell your Ruckus AP's and buy a cheap one.  Much better speeds!  Sad but true.  We have the R710 and R720, both unleashed, both give terrible download speeds.  No solution in sight despite the fact that people have been complaining about this for months.

philip_march
New Contributor III
I spent 4 hours with Ruckus support with a new install of 4x R720's with latest 200.8.10.3.243 firmware.  Not easy to explain to client why these new Ruckus AP's get HALF the download speed of the Ubiquitis they replaced.  NOTE: In testing, the problem appears to be with how it handles WPA2 encryption.  Created test open SSID (no encryption) and the speeds doubled - although still not close to the speeds of a wired connection.  SO DISAPPOINTED to read that this issue is not so recent and they have been unable to fix the issue after many months of complaints.  Any word if this has to do with the change of ownership (Arris, now CommScope)?  Not only does this compromise the integrity of Ruckus - it puts integrators in a really bad position.  I cannot possibly do another installation with Ruckus equipment until I am assured this problem is fixed.  I can't believe I actually have to post this.  I won't even get into the issue of this latest firmware breaking PoE negotiation on R710s (now bumped to 802.3af from 802.3at.). What is going on at Ruckus engineering??

I can't up like this post enough. I have been a die hard Ruckus fan since 2014, I have an AP at home, have bought gear from the swag store (not sure if they still have that), and I have even spoken at Ruckus events to promote the brand/equipment. Right now, as things have been like this for months (even longer to be honest), I have a hard time recommending this product line. I don't know if engineering is giving up, got outsourced to a bad firm, too many Commscope people got their hands on the Ruckus product, or whatever it may be. 

It's like watching the death of a beloved family member. Seriously. I know the problem has been identified, but I still can't believe its taken this long. Reasons like this is why we moved to Ruckus from other products.

Having to rely on Ruckus Unleashed AP's during this time has been a challenge.  Especially during video conferences, the connection regularly drops completely.  We know it's Ruckus because the others in the conference do not see this issue as we do.  We tested this with other offices.  Buying Ruckus AP's is a mistake and I would be very surprised if Ruckus survives this.  We advise all our customers to absolutely no way ever to invest in Ruckus AP's...  Sad but true.  We've used them for years.  They seem incapable of solving the download speed issue / don't care.  Either way, there are plenty of other companies that do.