cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus Unleashed: Remote monitoring ideas (for packet loss, latency)?

brett_spedale
New Contributor II

Hey,

I very often use two Ruckus Unleashed APs (meshed) as wireless bridges. Multiple other devices are connected (via a switch) to each one of those wireless bridges. 

Currently my monitoring system pings each device from the router on site. I would like to ping each Ruckus AP from the device that serves as its uplink. If the Ruckus AP is plugged into the router, I'm already set. However, I am trying to figure out a way to monitor the Ruckus APs that use another Ruckus AP as the uplink. To do this I would need to run a command on that AP. 

I've seen the ping command via the CLI, and I am sure I could get that working with a script. I have two questions:

1. I see that the packet size option for the CLI ping command is -s (so -s 1400 for a 1400 byte ping). However, I can't figure out how to change the number of packets. Neither -c or -n works, and I can't find any documentation on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  2. Is there a better way than the method I'm considering here? For example, does Unleashed happen to have some built in capability that I'm not aware of? Or an SNMP command of some kind that can provide ping results?

Thanks for reading!

1 REPLY 1

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Brett,

Please refer my response below.

1. I see that the packet size option for the CLI ping command is -s (so -s 1400 for a 1400 byte ping). However, I can't figure out how to change the number of packets. Neither -c or -n works, and I can't find any documentation on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

[Omer]
    No, from regular AP CLI, you cannot run extended ping.

2. Is there a better way than the method I'm considering here? For example, does Unleashed happen to have some built in capability that I'm not aware of? Or an SNMP command of some kind that can provide ping results?

[Omer] SNMP is supported but ICMP over SNMP is not supported (I doubt if it is supported by any vendor under SNMP protocol).

If this is super critical for you, try Raspberry pi zero W with a USB to Ethernet adaptor and configure it to connect to mesh AP directly on AP's free eth port. With some scripting on Pi, you can automate the ping.

Note: Using Raspberry Pi for this task is just a suggestion, not a officially supported method.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn