cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus POE compatibility

CRSR
New Contributor III

Does anyone know of a switch that is fully compatible with whatever proprietary POE negotiation Ruckus has implemented in their x50 model lines (R850, R750, R650)?

I've tried so many Cisco, HP/Aruba, Dell switches but nothing seems to be compatible with Ruckus AP's.  The last switch tried, Dell N3208PX-ON, fully supports 802.3bt (90 watts power) but when using an R850, I cannot get it to go over 12 watts when in use and our users are experiencing MASSIVE performance problems.  They also just never negotiate properly in 'auto' mode and in Unleashed I always get the power warning.  Manually forcing it to bt mode removed the warning, but the power never goes up past 11 watts.  I've seen a lot of posts from people having similar performance problems and sadly the only fix was an AC adapter which is ridiculous for such a pricey top-line enterprise product.  The only good news is 3/4 of my Ruckus R850 AP's are still back-ordered and if I can't find a fix for this POE problem, I'll just go with another vendor and cancel the order.  It's mind blowing how bad Ruckus has become since Commscope's purchase.

11 REPLIES 11

CRSR
New Contributor III

Incompatible devices I tried:  Aruba 6200F - couldn't detect 802.11AT mode.  Cudy 90 Watts Gigabit PoE++ Injector - Can't negotiate 802.11BT mode.  Dell N3208PX-ON - couldn't detect any mode I tried (802.11AT/BT).  In all these devices, it always falls back onto 802.11AF.

Squozen
Contributor III

I'm using an R650 which negotiated 802.at perfectly with my cheap TP-Link switch at home. It's industry-standard negotiation as far as I can tell. Are you testing with a short, known-good cable directly to the switch or using your existing building wiring?

Screenshot 2022-08-22 at 8.39.12 a.m..png

mark_pledl
Contributor

Maybe completly outdated. The R850 does not support 802.11bt only PoEH or UPoE. That is like you have dicovered a big issue with Aruba Switches. Only switches are working with it are are Commscope/Ruckus ICX7150-48ZP, ICX7550-24ZP or 48ZP or cisco ones with UPoE. Maybe therer are othere Vendory but I know that they are at least working on them.

I would agree in the point that there should be some notice about this. All others RX50 models are POE + compatible, as R760 are POE++ aka 802.11bt compatible

Br,

Mark

Switch-POE-load.jpg

According to the datasheet the R850 is also 802.3at compatible with some limitations. 

https://www.commscope.com/globalassets/digizuite/458063-ds-ruckus-r850.pdf