cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R610 slow download

andenker
New Contributor

I got a used R610 and run into some issues with it. When testing download speed over 5GHz with iperf from a local server, a get 130, occasionally 150 Mbps. Uploads are very good, well over 500 Mbps. I'm doing the tests right next to the AP. A competitor's AP that is currently in use consistently gives me 500-600 in both directions (tested with either one AP being online, not both).

Tested with Unleashed 200.15.6.12.304, later tried 200.14.6.1.203. I use "optimize for compatibility", 80 MHz width, tried turning off background scanning and ChannelFly. Even manually set to the same channel as my existing AP and put R610 in its place to rule out physical location factor. No matter what I tried, the download issue persists. Swapping out to the old AP - works well again.

In Unleashed UI under connected client details I see AP Tx Data Rate: MCS 1/80/2 / 117.0M bps. So, it doesn't connect at the appropriate rate. This is just one sample, but every time I checked, the number was low. I don't think it's interference since it would have impacted the other AP the same way. Both are AC Wave 2 3x3.

At this point I'm trying to understand whether it's a software/configuration issue or bad hardware. Not sure what else I can try from the configuration point of view. I reset to all defaults and set up just the basics. Even tried without authentication as I read there used to be some WPA2 issues. Clearly, everything works well for uploads.

I appreciate any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

andenker
New Contributor

I would like to provide an update in case anyone finds this thread via search later.

I returned the defective R610 and got an R710. Configured it with the same basic setup, same version 200.15.6.12.304, put it in the same physical location, ran the same iperf tests as before. This unit works as expected. The worst spot gave me 204 Mbit/s. In other places it's 400-600 Mbit/s. Not that I really need such speeds, but the point is that the device is functioning properly.

For anyone buying used access points - watch out. The R610 I bought was listed as "tested", most likely they powered it on, got some lights, and called it done. You are probably thinking, what can possibly go wrong with an AP, there are no moving parts. I thought so too. It's not unrealistic something got damaged inside. When you look at some of those used APs with cracks or holes, you can't help thinking, what were people doing to them, sitting on them? My guess is when they are dismounted for replacement, people don't care and just toss them in a box.

I wonder how many online posts about Ruckus performing poorly could be due to defective hardware...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

andenker
New Contributor

I would like to provide an update in case anyone finds this thread via search later.

I returned the defective R610 and got an R710. Configured it with the same basic setup, same version 200.15.6.12.304, put it in the same physical location, ran the same iperf tests as before. This unit works as expected. The worst spot gave me 204 Mbit/s. In other places it's 400-600 Mbit/s. Not that I really need such speeds, but the point is that the device is functioning properly.

For anyone buying used access points - watch out. The R610 I bought was listed as "tested", most likely they powered it on, got some lights, and called it done. You are probably thinking, what can possibly go wrong with an AP, there are no moving parts. I thought so too. It's not unrealistic something got damaged inside. When you look at some of those used APs with cracks or holes, you can't help thinking, what were people doing to them, sitting on them? My guess is when they are dismounted for replacement, people don't care and just toss them in a box.

I wonder how many online posts about Ruckus performing poorly could be due to defective hardware...