cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R500-Unleashed: Configure as WiFi Repeater

Rayb
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have a Linksys EA6350 AC1200+  as Gateway Router & primary WiFi authenticator.

I would like to use the R500 as WiFi Repeater (no cabled connection) to extend WiFi range, but I'm unable to figure out how through the Ruckus user interface or documents. The R500 is the only Ruckus device I have.

Any input on the subject is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Vineet_nejwala

Hi @Rayb 

Ruckus device can't work with third party as a repeater though if you have two Ruckus AP you can use mesh technology in which one AP will play as root (connected via cable) while other as mesh (no cabled connection).

Best Regards

Vineet

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Vineet_nejwala

Hi @Rayb 

Ruckus device can't work with third party as a repeater though if you have two Ruckus AP you can use mesh technology in which one AP will play as root (connected via cable) while other as mesh (no cabled connection).

Best Regards

Vineet

Rayb
New Contributor II

Thank you for taking time to answer.

For posterity: As you imply, the reverse setup (Ruckus as Gateway Router, Linksys or other device as Repeater / client) would most likely work, since those devices have client AP mode in the software.

Thanks!

ms264556
Contributor II

Although it isn't officially supported, you can install solo firmware on your R500 & follow the instructions here:- 

https://ms264556.github.io/Hackery/pages/StandaloneWirelessBridgeRepeater.html 

Rayb
New Contributor II

Thanks for that solution @ms264556

I flashed the Solo AP Firmware then changed the IP to Static 192.168.1.2 / 24 - strangely, the default user + pw combo does not work on the browser (https) login, but does work for the ssh login. I did a Reset, and I could login from browser, but when I changed the IP again, same problem - can't login.

I made the modifications per your Github link, but I can't check if it worked or not since the web interface does not let me in. CORRECTION: Fairly certain that the R500 is not connecting to the Gateway & the web UI would be useful in trying to debug.

Thanks.