cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE throughput

Squozen
Contributor II

Hi all,

I just bought an R650 for my home network and I noticed that I can run it as a gateway. I'm just wondering how fast the PPPoE throughput might be - could it keep up with my 1Gb fibre connection or would I be best off keeping my ISP router until I find something better?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor

Hi Squozen,

I have gig FTTP and tested using an R610 as the PPPoE gateway and achieved around 300Mbps throughput.

As I understand PPPoE is processor-intensive to perform the encapsulation so you're unlikely to realise full 1Gb throughput using a non-dedicated router device.

HTH,
Darrel.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DarrelRhodes
Valued Contributor

Hi Squozen,

I have gig FTTP and tested using an R610 as the PPPoE gateway and achieved around 300Mbps throughput.

As I understand PPPoE is processor-intensive to perform the encapsulation so you're unlikely to realise full 1Gb throughput using a non-dedicated router device.

HTH,
Darrel.

I'm hoping the CPU on the 650 is more powerful, but I'm happy to keep the ISP router if it can't manage it.

As per the best practices, it is best to utilize the AP in bridge mode and avoid gateway mode.

If you have no other option (no router), that is when you should use gateway mode.

Gateway mode also produces single point of failure, in case of gateway AP fails, your entire network will be down. 

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

This is a home network, everything is a single point of failure anyway. 😄