cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest Hello Issue

atma_tiwana
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have an issue with one device that keeps randomly disconnecting and reconnecting.

The device is a Nest hello doorbell.

In the UK it only runs in 2.4ghz.

I have 2 R500's running the latest unleashed firmware.

I've disabled 2.4ghz on one of the AP's to ensure its not jumping from one to another due to signal strength .

When it was connected to my BT router had no issues.

I have created a dbg file which I can upload that was set to monitor that device via mac address.

The issue appears to be a STA-DISASSOC ?

I'vetried to post a few lines from the dbg file but every time i click on post it fails

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

atma_tiwana
New Contributor III

So an update.

All of a sudden it's working fine.

I changed the combined Service providers (BT) modem/ router to a Deco M5.

But changed it back because I sold it.

However having a look on the internet I think the Cold weather in the UK may have caused issues for the Nest Hello or its external PSU as others had reported similar issues.

Suffice to say it's all setup as it was when I was having problems and it's gone back to being rock solid.

Strange

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

atma_tiwana
New Contributor III

So I have my router assign the DHCP address to the Unleashed network.

When looking at setting on unleashed the current master (as I have no preferred master set) I noticed the AP was set to keep AP's setting, is this normal ? I've set it to use DHCP now as I believe that is what is should be?

"keep AP's setting" is normal. Anyway, you have no problem with APs, you have problems with bell connectivity, so don't mess AP itself, but try to troubleshoot connection.

So the very first question - do you have any problems when connected using laptop or phone to same WiFi?  If you are not disconnected, than problem is with concrete client connection, and not with AP. If you are also disconnected regularly -- then it is different story.

Its a client problem with the doorbell only. 

However this is the only item that has a 24/7 connection and is constantly uploading as its a acting as a security camera and keeps a complete history on the cloud. 

The problem could be other items as well since they connect on demand as in I want to brose the Web, stream a movie then when I'm done they "disconnect" and therefore I don't notice it.

The doorbell will disconnect and then reconnect eventually, sometimes within seconds, minutes or hours. Nest doorbell with send an email once it has been offline for 10 minutes, that's how I knew about the issue, otherwise I would be oblivious to it until I went looking for footage and noticed it was missing. 

I have added all my 2.4ghz devices as favourites to ensure I get notified if any drop off the network..

Some have but they reconnect more or less instantaneously  (could be dhcp lease release and renewal ?).

The nest doorbell is the only issue I have ATM

Actually it is possible, that bell isn't uploading video all the time (probably works on movement detection?), so when there is nothing to upload it may be kicked out after timeout, and it connects abck when needs to transmit something? Have no idea about bell beheviour -- never have  used such device. Check what is session timeout for your network, make it say 12 hours and test than.

Also, is your bell the client with lowest signal? as it is outside, and all other clients inside?  Check signal level reported for it.

Hi. 

No I have 24/7 upload to the internet.

No weak signal either.

Next winter I'll probably have a new camera instead and a normal doorbell.