cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh or not

Richard_NZ
New Contributor III

I'm seeking help on whether to tick the mesh box or not. A newbie, I have moved into a house that needs the wireless extending across the house. I have a r710 and a r650. I have them up and working. The router wireless is turned off and the two Ruckus devices are attached to the router via ethernet and a PoE switch. One ethernet cable is short (I'm happy with this), the other is 30m long and trails through the house. So, I have two options: [1] hide the wire in the ceiling and connect to the AP far away, or [2] omit the long cable and mesh the two AP's. Again, a newbie, I think I have that correct?

Why mesh? Essentially what I want to be able to do is walk from one end of the house to the other and have the connection solid. Currently, with the AP's on ethernet wires I manually switch from one AP to the other. It's no problem, just cumbersome. This is why I'm thinking mesh may be the solution - BUT - I don't know what effect this has on throughput. I'm thinking wired is better, but how much better; am I going to even notice?

I'd appreciate some advice please. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3