cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot handle signal interference with Self Healing on Ruckus Unleashed.

quannguyen
New Contributor

I am quite helpless with the problem of signal interference on Ruckus Unleashed. We have gone through multiple versions and just updated to the latest version 200.14.6.1.203, but it seems that the Background Scanning is set with the parameter: Run a background scan on 5GHz radio every 300 seconds does not work at all.

Every time there is signal interference, the entire company's network system is almost paralyzed and unable to connect to the AP or access the internet. At the same time, the ping packets are extremely high and there are also a lot of drops.

We are working in an independent office environment with about 700 devices connected to the system's 7 APs as follows: 01 R750 running in Dedicated Master mode, 05 R710 and 01 R510 running in slave mode.

Thank you for your attention and support in helping me find a way to handle signal interference.

3 REPLIES 3

Rohit_W
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi @quannguyen ,

Thank you for contacting RUCKUS Support via FORUM.

Please open a case with us to troubleshoot the issue. Follow article https://support.ruckuswireless.com/articles/000008651.

Too bad there's no solution for me. Currently, I'm using Ruckus Unleashed mode and am unable to open a support request due to payment limitations. Is there any guide I can refer to for troubleshooting on our device?
Thank you for taking the time to assist me.

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hello @quannguyen,

The problem you are facing could be related to many different factors.

If you do not have a support contract, I suggest you review below points:

1. Is the problem happening since day one of the AP deployment or recently started happening?
  2. Was there a Wi-Fi site survey done before or after installing these APs?
  3. 700 clients covered by 7 APs seems a dense deployment to me. You may need to do capacity planning.
    1. If we do a simple math, 700client/7AP= 100 clients per AP on average. Now if each client needs a minimum bandwidth of 10Mbps, then 100client*10Mbps = 1000Mbps (1Gig).
    2. As per the above math, 100 clients with 10Mbps bandwidth need backhaul connection of 1Gig and if more clients will connect to the same AP, your ethernet link will be overutilized and possibly you will start seeing many performance related issues for particular AP(s).
    3. Since Wifi communication is half duplax, this 10Mbps will be used for up and down both links, this means you get 5Mbsp up and 5Mbps down.
  4. Point 3 is just an example, there could be many other reasons like high multicast/broadcast traffic might be overutilizing the wired (AP's eth link) or wireless (airtime). Because of this also users will face poor performance.

Recommendations:

1. Limit the number of SSIDs if client traffic load is too much.
  2. For guest SSIDs enable client isolation and also enable multicast/broadcast filters (this can also be done on the switch ports where APs are connected).
  3. Enable client load balancing to make sure clients are distributed among APs and both the bands (2.4 and 5G).
  4. Set the channel bandwidth to 20MHz for both bands, this will allow more available channels and less interfearnance.
  5. Set 2.4G channels to 1, 6 and 11 only, or you can completely disable the 2.4G radio and run the full network on 5G band because it has more available channels.
  6. Set the background scan to 600 sec for 2.4G and 60 for 5G radio.

Other than the above points, most important thing in such scenarios is the WiFi site survey. Get a Wi-Fi site survey done. Based on the survey (RSSI value, capacity, coverage) add the number of APs required for desired performance.

If none of the above helps, you have to buy support and open a case with us so that we can verify the network stats, configuration and troubleshoot the issue.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn