cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using certificate to authenticate the user to the wi-fi

bicky_budha
New Contributor III

Hi, We have Ruckus Virtual SmartZone. At the moment user's connect to the WiFi using the domain username & password. We would like to test the certificate based wifi authentication.

We have Microsoft Certificate Authority. NPS has been installed on Domain Controller. In NPS I have created connection request policy with the condition NAS Port Type Wirelesses IEEE 802.11 Or Wireless – Other.

Network Policy has been created with the condition NAS Port Type Wirelesses IEEE 802.11 Or Wireless – Other, EAP Types as Microsoft Smart Card or other Certificates >> Selected the domain controller certificate that is installed on that server.

Now I guess I need to get a certificate for the end user which I will be asking the end user to install it on their devices, do I create this certificate CSR from the Ruckus\System\Certificates\CSR and submit the CSR request via web enrolment to the Microsoft CA where I have to paste the CSR and select the Certificate Template (not sure which template) ?

Any help on this will be much appreciated, thank you.

Bicky

5 REPLIES 5

peter_riederer_
Contributor
we have a similiar constellation. are your devices domain-computers?

bicky_budha
New Contributor III
I am testing this certificate based authentication for the BYOD devices. 

peter_riederer_
Contributor
why you want to switch from AD to Cert-based? AD is much easier to handle. Installing a Cert on an iPhone or Android is always difficult. and if the employe leaves the company you just can disable the account and he/she cannot use the wifi anymore. with certs its much more difficult. 

bicky_budha
New Contributor III
We are not switching from AD to the Cert-based. I just want to test the certificate based authentication to get my hands-on, kind of trying to learn and see how it works.