cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"vsz essentials doesnt support multiple interfaces, please configure with one interface then setup again"

jimmy_gu_5891de
New Contributor II

hi, I'm trying to setup a demo vSZ on an EXSI server

at the vSZ#

I typed in SETUP, and chose vSZ essential, but came up with this error message 

"vsz essentials doesnt support multiple interfaces, please configure with one interface then setup again"

I did notice there are multiple interfaces in "show interface", so I had removed 2 other connection from EXSI, leaving only 1 connected

now show interface only showing 1 control interface , but SETUP would still giving same error message : (

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

You probably had configured all 3 interfaces on the same subnet, and this can't work at all, therefore services were not coming up.

So go for vSZ-H with 1 interface and if you can, add some 4 GB RAM  at least for time of installation.

When you deploy ova, uncheck option start VM after deployment. When deployed, edit RAM (to max available), HDD (300GB recommended, will work with 100GB too, but will give error message), and delete 2 NICs, and put last NIC on correct network. Than start VM and run setup.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

You dont really need the 3 nics for vSZ-H (unless you're doing a redundant cluster). But it runs just fine with a single NIC.

Regarding SZ-H vs SZ-E, the only benefit of E is that Essentials stores statistics and event logs for longer periods of time. High-scale is meant to offload stats/events to external systems. So if you're doing single tenant, it might be helpful to have the longer stats periods.

Cheers

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

12 GB is not enough for latest versions (both vSZ-H and vSZ-E have same lower limit). Lowest level for version 5.2 is 13GB RAM. As at least something will be used by ESXI, you have about 10-11 GB available.  It would actually work, if you can install and configure it, as far as you have not that much APs.

Installation with 3 interfaces is tricky, as you need this interfaces on 3 different VLANs, with different subnets, and some static routes to make it work. Usually it just doesn't makes sense, except for very big deployments.

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

You probably had configured all 3 interfaces on the same subnet, and this can't work at all, therefore services were not coming up.

So go for vSZ-H with 1 interface and if you can, add some 4 GB RAM  at least for time of installation.

When you deploy ova, uncheck option start VM after deployment. When deployed, edit RAM (to max available), HDD (300GB recommended, will work with 100GB too, but will give error message), and delete 2 NICs, and put last NIC on correct network. Than start VM and run setup.

Spot on , thanks a lot, I will vlan the 3 interfaces and take advantage of your other tips.

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

I checked, latest install manual   (SmartZone 5.0 (GA) Getting Started Guide (vSZ/vSZ-D)) is vague on that, and just mentions that you can't change interface configuration, after VM was started the first time. It was clearly told in some previous manual, but I don't remember which version it is, as when you know it, it is so obvious, you don't look it in manuals any more.  

You configure network and some other setting from vmware console, but than you can continue in browser (https://IP:8443). After setup wizard is completed, it will take 30-40 min for vSZ VM to configure itself, don't close browser window or do anything with it - just go drink some coffee.

Also after any reboot, it takes  about 20-30 min to start all services.

Hope it helps