cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZD to vSZ Migration

igor_tunakin
Contributor
Hi,

I have two controllers. One of them is ZD 1200 and another one is vSZ configured as an Essentials with one interface (the location is really small and we don't need to separate traffic)

Controllers have to serve different sub-networks. Let’s say ZD: 192.168.1.0/24 and SZ 192.168.2.0/24. Each sub-network has your own DHCP server.

In the beginning all AP were connected to ZD. After vSZ installation I switched some of APs to the new controller (vSZ). My problem is the APs still have old IP addresses from first the network (192.168.1.0/24).

How can I migrate APs to the new sub-network?

11 REPLIES 11

same issue here, but with aps at 9.13 zd fw and trying to do them one at a time via ssh.   its really as if ruckus does not want people to upgrade to vsz.  not 1 of our 500+ aps has been a clean move to vsz,  bottom line-  manually upgrade each AP to standalone FW 104 +  then manually add them to the vSZ (3.6 in our case).

its really a sad scenario on ruckus' part.

AS THIS IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM, I FEEL THAT I NEED TO WRITE THIS...
Hope my very late reply will help somebody who has same problem now and IS searching for answers.
Actually, Ruckus is not guilty there --  reason is not reading manuals.  vSZ manual clearly states that reset to factory default is mandatory after installing vSZ firmware on  AP to get AP working. Newer vSZ versions (3.5+) can do it for you automatically and very conveniently in AP migration tab.
When this reset is not done, migration fails -- in the best case you get AP, which is managed by vSZ, but does not transmit any WLAN.
This applies to any AP ever connected to ZD, even if it was reset to factory later. Only APs in real factory default status -- which have never been connected to ZD, can be connected to vSZ without reset.
I see it again and again -- and people don't do reset even when I say them to do it, because it looks contr-intuitive. Just do it!
I got through this stage with version 3.1, when there was not enough manuals, but now it is well documented and even automated.

Eizens