cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartzone Migration

alex_shalima
Contributor

Hi Guys/Gals,

Hope you are all doing well during these times.

I'm looking to migrate a High Scale vSZ from one datacenter to another.

Current vSZ is setup on public IP (behind a NAT). It manages WAPs and switches. Version 5.1.1.0.598.

We are looking to do the same thing in the second datacenter with a new public IP.

I have been able to set up the vSZ. At this point I'm looking for an advice or best practice on how to make this transition smooth. Here is my option that I can think of:

- Load a backup of the current vSZ to the new one.

- Move all of the equipment (change the SCG IP address) using AP scripts and switch batch cli facility.

- Change the SCG IP to a FQDN for WAPs and switches (not sure if it is possible).

- Load a backup of the current vSZ to the new one

- Change the IP in the DNS

- Setup a new vSZ and add it to the cluster

- Let all the equipment get the new SCG IP 

- Shutdown the current vSZ

- Remove the old (current) smartzone from the cluster

Please let me know which one of the above would be the preferred method. Also, if you know of a better way to do it - please let me know.

Happy thanksgiving!

Cheers,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lchua
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Alex,

Good day to you too.

If existing vSZ and new vSZ are using different IP and new vSZ can be reach from the APs then I can say option #1 is the best option.  

My suggestion is to transfer APs per zones or batches so it can easily monitor if all was transfered successfully and with this option you will still have rollback plan to use the existing vSZ just in case something unexpected will happen (most case none)

regards,
Lloyd Chua

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

lchua
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Alex,

Good day to you too.

If existing vSZ and new vSZ are using different IP and new vSZ can be reach from the APs then I can say option #1 is the best option.  

My suggestion is to transfer APs per zones or batches so it can easily monitor if all was transfered successfully and with this option you will still have rollback plan to use the existing vSZ just in case something unexpected will happen (most case none)

regards,
Lloyd Chua

Hi Lloyd,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Great, we will follow option 1. 

Happy turkey day!

Cheers,

Alex

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

And by the way you can't add remote vSZ node (located in different DC) to the cluster, except if you have fast dark fiber link between them. Clustre requires law latency L2 connection without ACLs (as communication between different services happens using different internal subnets, not related with interface addresses.   

Hope this helps.

That's great to know. Thanks eizens_putnins!