Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer 2 connection between SZ100 & R310

an_nguyen_vu
New Contributor
Hi all,

We have a new SZ100 and 48 R310.
- When we try to make R310 adop to SZ100 via Layer 2 connection, but it's not completed.
       + On AP we can ping to SZ100 Management IP. But in SZ100: we don't see any AP adopted
       + Option  acccep all is enable
- If we do manually config the controller address on AP's Web Interface => It's sucess.

Althought, we can establish the connection between AP and SZ100 via Layer 3. But i need to find out why Layer 2 connection is not working.

Thank you guy so much.
4 REPLIES 4

monnat_systems
Valued Contributor II
check firewall if any
portsis AP able to discover controller on L2 on the same switch as controller?any error message/.log generated on controller for this AP if any AP??

dionis_taveras
Contributor II
An, the SmartZone is a new class of controller that does not rely on LWAPP for AP to Controller communication. Instead, it uses SSH which is much more secured and scalable than traditional LWAPP. As a side effect, however, it is required to do a bit extra configuration to be able to successfully get AP auto provisioned on the controller. This is due to SSH not operating on Layer2.
The easiest way to get the APs to join the controller is via the use of option 43 on the dhcp server. If you are using a switch or a dhcp server for AP IP assignment, you can configure option 43 (vendor specific option) to assign the controller IP to the AP automatically. AP will boot and get DHCP and with it, the IP of the controller to which the AP will join automatically. An alternative option is the use of DNS. You can create a DNS A record entry for RuckusController which resolves to the IP of the controller. The AP will attempt to resolve this on the dns assigned which should be your own in this case.

There are guides on how to make this work seamlessly in our support portal and here in this forum. Just search support for option 43 for how to configure it in multiple platforms.

Hope this helps.

Hi Dionis,

Very thanks about this. 
Can i get offical document from Ruckus about "the SmartZone is a new class of controller that does not rely on LWAPP for AP to Controller communication. Instead, it uses SSH which is much more secured and scalable than traditional LWAPP. As a side effect, however, it is required to do a bit extra configuration to be able to successfully get AP auto provisioned on the controller."
BTW, i already use option 43 on DHCP, but i just need to understand why SZ100 not working on Layer 2 environment

The SmartZone administration guide should shed some light on this. The whole idea behind this is that the smartzone may not always be seating in the same layer 2 network as the APs, in fact, the whole idea is to securely manage APs that may sit in multiple different locations. Including the local network as well as many remote offices, some may even be in other countries. There is really no boundaries as to the extended use range of using your smartzone. You can take it from me as the current Sr. Global Technical instructor for Ruckus and specializing on the smartzone products :).