cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade method for ICX7150-C12?

dane_holland
New Contributor III

What is my path to upgrade? Do I do secondary first? Do I do a version at a time, incrementally?

What I have on my switch right now:

Compressed Pri Code size = 24723488, Version:08.0.61aT211 (SPS08061a.bin)
  Compressed Sec Code size = 28314668, Version:08.0.61aT213 (SPR08061a.bin)
  Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.10T225
  Code Flash Free Space = 1311813632

I've watched this video. It's not entirely clear to me what my process should be. Is there one that speaks a little more 'hand-holdy' on how I do this? https://youtu.be/kyQ5pcNEXSQ

Also, my secondary flash seems to have router firmware installed on it. Is that expected?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

matt_klouda
Contributor

I should note, Terry is loading software from a TFTP server, which is not common for a house. I'll show you how to do this using a USB flash drive, so have one handy if you can, with nothing on it but the entire contents of the zip file (extracted) you download. I'd grab 8.0.90d, if possible.

See you next Thursday and please help spread the word. We really want to help the homeowners out, and help them get the most out of this great hardware.

Thanks

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

matt_klouda
Contributor

Hi Dane -

Yep, it's a tad confusing. There are two flash partitions on the device as you can see. From the factory we load switch on primary, router on secondary.

I'd recommend only loading software to partition, so if you need to revert to your old software, you can.

You can run router or switch. Personally, I only run router code on everything. If you decide to run switch, you just won't be able to do things like create ve interfaces for your vlans (inter vlan routing, which based on our chat during the live stream today, you'll want). So run router code.

There isn't an upgrade path. You just need the boot and image files and then you can load them. You don't have to load anything to get you from 8061 to 8090, it's a direct upgrade. Once you load up the UFI image, you'll have to load it a second time.

I was planning to show you how to do this next Thursday on the live stream, if you can wait that long.

Let me know

Thanks

As long as the POE functionality persists, along with the ability to disable POE on ports, and the router code still allows me to use the device as a switch, that's fine with me. I have several downstream dumb switches in my house too (one hop only, no daisy chaining aside from the ICX port to the dumb switch). Will that functionality remain also? I also will want the ICX pulled into the unleashed framework.

Yep, that will all work. I'll show you how to get your switch in Unleashed as well. You'll have to copy and paste the entire config in to notepad, because you'll have to do the factory reset on it, then put your config back in. It's a pain, but by far the easiest way to do it.

matt_klouda
Contributor

I should note, Terry is loading software from a TFTP server, which is not common for a house. I'll show you how to do this using a USB flash drive, so have one handy if you can, with nothing on it but the entire contents of the zip file (extracted) you download. I'd grab 8.0.90d, if possible.

See you next Thursday and please help spread the word. We really want to help the homeowners out, and help them get the most out of this great hardware.

Thanks