Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software recovery on an ICX7150 switch - Problem at COM Identification Step

32huynh
New Contributor

Hi,

I was following the topic on how to perform a software recovery on the ICX7150:

https://community.ruckuswireless.com/t5/RUCKUS-Support-for-Lennar-Homes/How-to-perform-a-Software-re...

But I am getting stuck at the step identifying the "COM#". It appears maybe there's a different console cable I need to use? If it's the console cable problem, can you recommend one that I can buy to proceed with this process? 

Or is there another recommendation on how to proceed?

I tried uploading photos but am not being giving permission to. Please help.

Thanks,

Philip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @32huynh 

Greetings!!!

Thank you for contacting RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

Hope you are doing well!!!

Thank you for the detailed information you shared.

As per the case description, I could understand that your ICX-7150-C12P Switch is stuck in the boot mode, and you are stuck in the software recovery process. 

Did you try a physical reset of the Switch?

If not, please try to reset the Switch as described below:

1. Please try to disconnect from the Power outlet the ICX-7150 and reconnect.

2. Please try to press the reset button using a paper click or a small stick 

• Remove power from the switch.
  • Press and hold the Reset button while applying power to the switch.
  • After all the system LEDs flash amber, release the Reset button.

Below is the Guide and Videos link for your reference:

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/icx7150-installguide/page/GUID-D3B5DB74-53A7-4F8D-82F9-6EB600879EE...

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jHMTdo_hK4

If the reset doesn’t make any difference, please check the below description:

Seems like during the software recovery process it’s not fetching the image which you downloaded, due to which there is an error “Retry count exceeded; starting again”. 

I see the files you selected are in the .jpg extension (please refer to the below screenshot). It should be in the .bin extension by default when you download it. Please download the firmware file of 08.0.90k once again from the support portal and try again. (Please follow step 5 from the guide)

Please check and make sure you have created a separate image folder for 2 files mnz10115.bin and SPS08090k.bin as highlighted in the screenshot below. (Folder name is ‘Upgrade’ in below screenshot example)

Also please make sure, TFTP is correctly configured with the correct folder (folder of 2 files mnz10115.bin and SPS08090k.bin) and Server interfaces as marked in the below screenshot as an example.

Please check and retry the software recovery process once again. And let me know if you have any queries in this regard.

Thank you again for your patience.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

32huynh
New Contributor

Here's the set-up I have for reference.Ethernet into RuckusEthernet into RuckusUSB & Ethernet to ComputerUSB & Ethernet to ComputerApplication Set-UpApplication Set-Up

Hi @32huynh 

Greetings!!!

Thank you for contacting RUCKUS Lennar Home Community.

Hope you are doing well!!!

Thank you for the detailed information you shared.

As per the case description, I could understand that your ICX-7150-C12P Switch is stuck in the boot mode, and you are stuck in the software recovery process. 

Did you try a physical reset of the Switch?

If not, please try to reset the Switch as described below:

1. Please try to disconnect from the Power outlet the ICX-7150 and reconnect.

2. Please try to press the reset button using a paper click or a small stick 

• Remove power from the switch.
  • Press and hold the Reset button while applying power to the switch.
  • After all the system LEDs flash amber, release the Reset button.

Below is the Guide and Videos link for your reference:

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/icx7150-installguide/page/GUID-D3B5DB74-53A7-4F8D-82F9-6EB600879EE...

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jHMTdo_hK4

If the reset doesn’t make any difference, please check the below description:

Seems like during the software recovery process it’s not fetching the image which you downloaded, due to which there is an error “Retry count exceeded; starting again”. 

I see the files you selected are in the .jpg extension (please refer to the below screenshot). It should be in the .bin extension by default when you download it. Please download the firmware file of 08.0.90k once again from the support portal and try again. (Please follow step 5 from the guide)

Please check and make sure you have created a separate image folder for 2 files mnz10115.bin and SPS08090k.bin as highlighted in the screenshot below. (Folder name is ‘Upgrade’ in below screenshot example)

Also please make sure, TFTP is correctly configured with the correct folder (folder of 2 files mnz10115.bin and SPS08090k.bin) and Server interfaces as marked in the below screenshot as an example.

Please check and retry the software recovery process once again. And let me know if you have any queries in this regard.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

Hi Imran,

I extracted the two files ending in "bin" extension. Please see screenshot of these two files. 

This is the set-up for the TFTP server as well for reference. Bin File Location & ServerBin File Location & Server

Hi @32huynh 

Thank you for the response and update.

Please perform software recovery once again from the beginning and check. 

Please share the screenshots if stuck at any step or error (if any) and let me know if you have any queries in this regard.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi

32huynh
New Contributor

Thank you Imran, it worked! I'm not sure why it worked this time, but glad it does.

I appreciate the prompt response, thank you so much!