cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus AP R510 - Not Resetting Properly to allow iPhone Unleashed App to Connect

PDBars
New Contributor III

SUMMARY:

We have two R510s we are trying to configure.  When connecting to the Configure.me WLAN during the reset process, they never fully complete the connection allowing the AP to be connected and then allowing us to configure the AP using the Unleashed app on an iPhone.  We have also tried the same reset process using a browser connection on a laptop instead of the iPhone - still failed.  Configure.Me WLAN also requires S/N as password during connection - most Ruckus documentation and videos state that a password is not needed.  Both R510s are doing the exact same thing!!!

In mid-June we exchanged multiple threads on this topic but never achieved a successful connection.  The recommendation was to replace the R510.  Ruckus has also provided multiple links to Ruckus standard guides (YouTube, documents, etc.) but nothing addressed the specific issue of the iPhone Unleashed app's inability to connect to the Configure.Me WLAN during the reset process.

DETAILS:  During reset, the following steps were used:

1.  AP plugged into POE port on NetGear Switch; for the last test, made sure the second R510 AP is disconnected to ensure it does not interfere with the process.  Note:  We have done the next steps with both the second R510 AP unplugged and then active (since it is the master).

2.  AP Power Red LIght shows initially and then it turns to a solid green light.  CTL light flashes green.

3.  Configure.Me WLAN becomes visible on the iPhone settings - WiFi possible connections list.

4.  Configure.Me WLAN is selected for connection on the iPhone and it asks for a password - AP R510 Serial Number is used.

5.  Configure.Me starts the connection process but never finishes. It stays in a continuous loop trying to connect to the AP.  Loop never completes and never shows the WiFi symbol at the top of the iPhone.

6.  Attempt to use Unleashed App steps to configure AP Configure.Me WLAN.  The app indicates that you must connect to the Configure.Me AP WLAN before configuration can be completed.

None of the Ruckus materials that were provided in the mid-June thread stream gave us any information regarding why this is occurring and how to correct it so that the WiFi connection/configuration can be completed using the Ruckus iPhone Unleashed App.  At this point, the Ruckus tech recommendation was to replace the Ruckus R510.  We have two different APs now and still not able to complete the process.

My conclusion is either I am missing a specific step or both R510s are broken.  I have successfully configured/upgraded five R510s within the last year, so this current effort is becoming very frustrating.

Please provide specific instructions to address the issue.  So far, standard materials that have been provided do not address this specific issue.  If standard materials are not available, please escalate to a higher-level technical troubleshooter.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration of this effort.  I am helping neighbors in our Lennar neighborhood with their Ruckus systems and this one has me frustrated!

Respectfully submitted - PDBars

11 REPLIES 11

Hi @PDBars 

Greetings!!!

Thank you for your correspondence and the comprehensive information provided. 

Please see responses to your inquiries below:

1. If you encounter the error again, I kindly request that you screen record the process on your laptop screen and share the video via the following Google Drive link:
Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vJZC6HkGGb8O4pg-rXI46Bz4S2VCL4PC

2. Regarding network connectivity, please be aware that while LAN ethernet cable connections are optional even you can keep them connected or not. However, you won’t be able to connect to the Wi-Fi network, since connecting to the Wi-Fi network "Configure.me-xxxxxx" is necessary for configuration purposes, even without Internet access.

3. Important note: As you already aware of only ONE Access Point (AP) should be connected to the Switch during the factory reset process; all other APs should remain unplugged. The AP used for the factory reset will assume the Master role thereafter. Upon reconnecting the unplugged APs to the Switch, all APs will synchronize into a unified Unleashed system. It is imperative that all APs are running on the same firmware version to ensure compatibility within the single Unleashed system.

Should you require further clarification or have additional queries, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi  
RUCKUS Lennar Home Community

PDBars
New Contributor III

Imran,

I do not have a video record app on my laptop so I took screenshots of every step and posted them in an MS Word document.  It is on the google docs site you gave me the link for with the title:  PDBars Neighbor's R510 Configuration Steps - 20240705.

This process has been repeated multiples time with both AP R510s with the same results.  For some reason, even though the Laptop WiFi indicates the device is connected, the browser is unable to activate the ruckus unleashed URL.

Note:  I am using FireFox 127.0.2 (64-bit) and it is fully up to date with the appropriate version.  If I use Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, I get security warnings.  I use this same version of FireFox to manage my own network with the 3 R510 APs and the Ruckus Switch with no issues.

Hope you have a great weekend.  Will watch for your response...

PDBars

Hi @PDBars 

Greetings!!!

Thank you for your response and the detailed information provided.

To proceed with the factory reset process smoothly, I recommend using Google Chrome. Please ensure to accept any security warnings that may appear, as they should not pose any issues. You can refer to the screenshot below for guidance.

Please attempt this and inform me of the outcome. 

Thank you once again for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi  

PDBars
New Contributor III

Imran,

Using Google Chrome, the unleashed window appeared!  Yeah!

But but none of the common Username and Password combinations for AP reset that you provided me previously were able to work on this one.  Any suggestions??

I am working the issue right now.

PDBars

Hello @PDBars 

Greetings!!!

I hope this message finds you well.

Thank you for your recent response and update.

It appears that you are attempting to log into the Unleashed dashboard, which typically requests a username and password. Please note that a factory reset does not require entering a username. If prompted for a password, you can try using the serial number, as you have already attempted.

You already know the process and this video, please refer to the instructional video at: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6SpCATBtHk

Please attempt the factory reset process once more and verify if it resolves the issue.

Thank you once again for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Imran Sanadi