cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation for new home set up

frederick_kuo
New Contributor II

Like many people here, I moved into a Lennar home that comes equipped with a Ruckus ICX 7150-c12p switch, and 3 Ruckus R510 access points.  I need your help in figuring out how to best set up and wire up my equipment.

The house gets fiber from the outside and the modem is actually supplied by the cable company that stays with the house.  Currently I am subscribed to Cox (150mbps).  From the outside/fiber modem, they ran the ethernet cable into the house where it goes into a Cox supplied gateway (which stays with the house regardless of service provider) and that goes into the ICX.  From the ICX, 3 cables run to each of the R510.

Not realizing all this when I bought the house, I also bought from Costco two new routers, Netgear RAX 45, which is actually pretty awesome.  Since moving in, by just plugging in the ethernet cable into my Netgear router, I actually get whole house wifi coverage even though I got 3 floors!  By the way, yes, I disconnected the Cox-supplied gateway and put it away.

So now, here is where I'm stuck.....

- should I still go ahead and disable the wifi on my router and use the ICX/R510 instead?  why or why not?

- I have read in these forums where the ICX or the R510's can be used in a router mode?  Should I consider that?  why or why not?

- in my other house, I use old modems as AP, run ethernet cables to the main router, and they automatically broadcast the SSID of the main router.  Can I do the same for the R510's?  I currently see 2 SSID's: one from my router and one from the AP/R510's.  Why aren't the R510's automatically taking on the SSID of my router, given that they are connected to the ICX and then in turn to the router?

Thank you!!

4 REPLIES 4