cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port use on ICX7150-C12P-2X10G

garrett_william
New Contributor III
I need some help understanding what I do with a C12P switch (came with my Lennar home).

I'd (ideally) like to set up VLANs for smart home use. However, I can't run all cables to a single switch. I need to use two. 

Uplink ports:
  • Can I use the "uplink" ports C1 and C2 as regular ports?
  • Can "uplink" ports C1 and C2 be managed (assigned to VLANs, truck ports, etc)?
SFP ports (10G, licensed):

If I license two C12P switches so I can use SFP ports X1 and X2 to stack the switches, I would use port X1 on switch 1 to stack to port X2 on switch 2.
  • Can I still use X2 on switch 1 as an uplink for a router/server/etc?
  • Can license 10G SFP ports X1 and X2 be managed (assigned to VLANs, truck ports, etc)?

SFP ports (1G, NOT licensed):
  • Can I use the SFP ports as regular 10/100/1000 ports?
  • Can unlicensed 1G SFP ports X1 and X2 be managed (assigned to VLANs, truck ports, etc).

I know I don't have a networking "need" to stack the switches, I just thought it would be easier than managing two separate switches and VLAN assignments. If I determine it's cost prohibitive or I can't accomplish what I want, I'll use a trunk link.

- Garrett
1 REPLY 1

simon_pollard
Contributor II
Hi Garrett

Here are the answers to your questions;

Uplink ports:
  • Can I use the "uplink" ports C1 and C2 as regular ports?
  • Can "uplink" ports C1 and C2 be managed (assigned to VLANs, truck ports, etc)?
C1 and C2 can be used for "downstream" connections to user devices or as "uplinks" to other switches, routers, servers, there is no limitation and they can be configured with all the attributes available on other ports (except PoE).

SFP ports (10G, licensed):

If I license two C12P switches so I can use SFP ports X1 and X2 to stack the switches, I would use port X1 on switch 1 to stack to port X2 on switch 2.
  • Can I still use X2 on switch 1 as an uplink for a router/server/etc?
  • Can license 10G SFP ports X1 and X2 be managed (assigned to VLANs, truck ports, etc)?
If you use only one port for stacking then the other can be used for data connections and be assigned VLANs, added to a trunk (LAG), etc.

SFP ports (1G, NOT licensed):

• Can I use the SFP ports as regular 10/100/1000 ports?
  • Can unlicensed 1G SFP ports X1 and X2 be managed (assigned to VLANs, truck ports, etc).
X1/X2 can be used as regular 1G data ports and be assigned VLANs, added to a trunk (LAG), etc.

The terms "downsteam" and "uplink" are applied to the ports simply to highlight their main application, in reality all ports can be used for either purpose. The only exception is stacking which can only be done via 10G SFP+ ports