cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lennar Connected Home ICX 7150-c12p R510 AP Setup

james_largent
New Contributor
I purchased a Lennar home with a ICX 7150 and R510 AP.  The wifi signal was broadcasting the Lennar assigned SSID and the ConfigureME-XXXX.  I downloaded the android app and connected to the ConfigureME net and followed the steps.  That's where I'm stuck.  I don't see the SSID I assigned during setup.  I can connect to the AP with Lennar provided password, but I don't get an external IP.  I had an old wireless router and it works, so I know the connection is good thru the modem.  When I go back to the mobile app and try to access the app it says I'm not connected to the network and then takes me to the network settings.  When I did the initial setup with the Unleashed APP, I picked the typical install.

I've done router setup for other manufactures, but this has me stumped.  Can someone point me to the documentation or explain how I can get this configured and maybe explain what I did in the setup with the mobile app?
44 REPLIES 44

@jon_harwood ...

Just think of the Ruckus ICX as just a Switch that provides power to your Ruckus APs.  You need a separate router which is the best thing.  Most of the IT industry is about about separate components doing it's dedicated job.  You have a POE switch, Separate wifi APs, separate Router... separate Modem.  The Combo units usually don't do as well of a job. The combo units for for consumers usually are lacking in features and control.    Anyway it seems Lennar new homes built later in 2021 have switched over the Eero 6 Pro probably do to a push from Amazon.  But if you have issues with your existing Ruckus System Let me know and I can help. What router did you order? I have some my clients and friends using Mikrotik routers which do they do best as dedicated routers. MikroTik Wifi APs are yuck when compared to Ruckus Wifi APs.  Yes MikroTik routers are a bit complex and can look intimidating with their GUI but they do have a quick easy setup.  But for more complex setups it'll require more digging into.  I use to have my clients use Edgerouter 4 and had been very rock solid til EdgeOS 2.x.x which then changed my mind. Thank goodness that openwrt has a snapshot for the Edgerouter 4 and will switch firmware with my clients that have them soon after more testing. 

@hayward_kong

I went with the Edge Router Lite. It seemed to have what I needed for a good price. 

I understand your point about separate components. Easier to pinpoint what may or may not be broken when troubleshooting or even during initial install. 

All I know is that I am up and running after many hours of resets and YouTube videos (and realizing I needed a router).

Thanks for offering your support to myself and others. 

@jon_harwood 

How has the Edgerouter Lite been for you? I know edgerOS 2.x.x hasn't been too reliable with more complex features turn on.. but I know EdgeOS 1.10.11 was a lot more reliable.  At least you have an alternative to switch to Openwrt, but you loose out the the hardware acceleration but have software acceleration and can get about 600-700mbps on openwrt.  Yeah I own an older Edgerouter Lite that was in service from 2014-2019 for a client who owned one and then when they upgraded they gave me the older hardware.  At this point, I would not invest anything more in ubiquiti gear since their development team that developed EdgeOS 1.x.x has all left ubiquiti and a new development team did EdgeOS 2.x.x which can explain the bloody mess at it's initial release.  Also I wasn't too happy about their hardware since I had one client who had an Edgerouter 4 and Edgerouter 12 fail on them.  Two out of Three Edgerouters failed on them.  One after two years and one less than a year. I also had an edgerouter X fail on me when I got one as a cheap router for my parents. All hardware failures. 

benedicto_singi
New Contributor

I just switched my older Netgear cable modem router to a Nighthawk AX2700 (CAX30) which is 802.11ax cable modem and Wifi 6 router combo. Is there a software update on the R510 APs that will enable it to support wifi 6? Wifi 6 is supposed to be backwards compatible but my R510s won't connect nor push out the signal. I have my modem router, Smart Things HUB, and Lutron HUB connected to my Ruckus ICX 7150-c12p and work well. However my R510s won't. If there's no software updates available, is there a trade up program so I can replace my current switch and/or APs to ones that are compatible? What switches and APs are compatible with the NETGEAR Nighthawk AX2700 CAX30? Thank you in advance for any assistance and information that anyone could provide. 

@benedicto_singian 

are all your current WiFi devices WiFi 6? .. personally I would shut off the WiFi on your cable modem combo router even though it has WiFi 6.  Your Lennar home should have 2-3 ruckus R510 APs which is far superior than the Netgear for reliability and it’s much faster when dealing with older device and can handle WiFi inference much better than the Netgear.  I would just use the Netgear as a modem and wired router for your situation since the Ruckus will handle roaming between APs better  Also the ruckus APs will handle a large amount of IOT WiFi devices and will have better range coverage than the Netgear. 

Here’s a video that explains Ruckus’s adaptive antenna 

https://youtu.be/0G7CfExG1oE

Current your ruckus r510s are not configured.

You can download the ruckus unleashed App for iOS or android and it will help you set it up.

If you don’t have an iOS or Android device you can go to https://unleashed.ruckuswireless.com when you login the the Lennar-configureme .xxxx.

I generally find logging in through a desktop or laptop device more reliable than using the mobile app. Then again it's my preference too. 

Choose typical setup. 

For more Ruckus Unleashed setup info check out this site

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/hth-ruckus-at-home

As for answering your questions. No you can not Upgrade the Ruckus R510 to Wifi 6 via firmware update it requires new hardware such as Ruckus R550 (Wifi 6)

There is probably newer firmware available to upgrade the current R510 that you have which is 802.11ac Wave 2.

Upgrading to R550 would be fairly expensive since they go on Average from a Ruckus Authorized about $550-$600 each

Just note, Wifi 6e is around the corner and will probably be released end of the year or next year.

You should also know Ruckus APs are enterprise grade Wifi APs while netgear Wifi routers are just consumer grade. 

Anyway, you get your Ruckus R510 configured with the Ruckus Unleashed AP it should be fine. If you want more options for control I recommend logging in through a web browser locally to your wifi to https://unleashed.ruckuswireless.com  which brings you to your master controller and you are able to configure and update your Ruckus APs and switches to higher firmware. 

Note, All the ruckus APs that's installed in your Lennar Home is installed at the optimized positions through out your home. They also have limited lifetime warranty on the Ruckus R510 APs  and your Ruckus Switch as the original owner of the house.