cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an ICX 7150-C12P and the PoE has switched off.

george_schempf
New Contributor II
I have an ICX 7150-C12P. The power was out for several hours and when it came back on the PoE wasn't active. I have done the factory reset about a dozen times and I can't get it back. I've read all these complex instructions on finding IP address, using a terminal prompt etc etc etc. Unfortunately all of that is over my head. Is there a way to manually turn it back on? Any help is greatly appreciated.
53 REPLIES 53

george_schempf
New Contributor II
Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately most of it I don't understand. I don't know how to get to the point where I can enter the commands. So I contacted Ruckus and they can't help me because the serial number sticker is missing. I contacted Amazon who is sending someone to the house to hopefully fix it. If not, it goes in the trash. There are much simpler and less expensive ones I can buy. Thanks again for your help!

netwizz
Contributor III
Well that's really strange that the serial number is missing.  I have two of those on my desk and dozens of them in boxes... all of them that I have seen have the tag is on the bottom.  It would take appreciable effort to remove the tag.

I understand your frustration, but these units are real work-horses.  Truly rock-solid devices capable of PoE+ for VoIP and Access Points, they can do VRRP (/w premium licencing), they have Layer-3 firmware available for routing, can be stacked, and can even support OSPF (/w premium licensing).

I have never heard of Amazon sending someone over... must be a third-party seller.  Regardless, unless it is someone familiar with network administration, they are not going to be of much help to you.

Answers:

To get to the point of entering the commands, take the included console cable out of the box, which is the serial to DB9 adapter and the rollover cable... and attach it to your computer's serial port.  If you do not have a serial port, get a USB to Serial Port adapter.  I personally like the Tripp-Lite Keyspan or anything with a genuine FTDI chipset such as the Sabrent.

Now that you have the the console cable connected to the computer's serial port (or USB serial port):

Open the Device Manager look at Ports (COM & LPT) to figure out what COM Port number your device uses.

Next connect the other RJ45 end of the rollover cable to the switch's console port.  On this Ruckus, it is the first port all by itself (closest to the reset) that doesn't have a USB port under it...  The console port has 10101 written under it with square text.

Next, open your favorite terminal application like PuTTY or Secure CRT (possibly Tera Term or even Hyper Term); it is your choise..  Most Windows users use PuTTy; since, it is free, small and stand-alone... not to mention it existed for a very long time.  It does not even have an installer.  If you search the Internet for PuTTy  you will find it.  Simon Tatham is the programmer!

The default Serial Settings should work, and they are the same as Cisco and many other vendors.

Speed (baud): 9600
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity: None
Flow control:  XON/XOFF

At this point select "Serial" from the radio button for your connection type.  Leave your speed set to 9600, and enter your serial line.  i.e. COM1.

When you open it, you should be able to type at the console.  If you see nothing press enter a few times.  You should likely see an ICX7150-C12> prompt or similar.

At this point there are basic commands such as:

en (enable to get to privileged exec... the # prompt needed for most administrative tasks)

Show Flash
Show Version (You will see your serial number here)
show run  (show running-configuration...  Shows how the device is configured)
show boot-preference (show boot on older builds)
show interface

You can use the ? mark for example

show interfaces ?

brief         Port information in brief mode
  ethernet      Ethernet port
  lag           LAG status
  management    management port
  mgmt          management port
  stack-ports   Stacking Port information in brief
  unit          All ports in a stack unit
  |             Output modifiers

When you read it, you will then think... I want:

show int brief

You can shorten command such as:

sh int br

show vlan

show clock

Likewise once you configure it with an IP address, username and password, you can enable SSH on the device.  Then using the same tool (i.e. PuTTY), you can connect to it via SSH by putting in it's IP.

To make changes get to Global Configuration:

en (enable)
conf t (config terminal ... brings you to Global Configuration).

It will bring you here:

ICX7150-C12(Config)#

From there you can change the vast majority of global items or switch to more specific configuration tasks.

For example:

ICX7150-C12(Config)# hostname Testing

Testing(Config)#

You probably want to set an ip, mask, and gateway:
(note /24 is CIDR "short" notation for 255.255.255.0.  You can enter subnet masks by putting a space after the IP and typing the mask instead).

Testing(Config)# no ip dhcp-client auto-update enable
Testing(Config)# no ip dhcp-client enable

Testing(Config)# ip address 192.168.1.123/24

Testing(Config)# ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1

To check:
show ip

You probably want to test connectivity:

ping 8.8.8.8

You likely want DNS (you can put as many as you want):

ip dns server-address 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

If it is in a domain:

ip dns domain-name mydomain.com

Perhaps you want to set the time...  Do an Internet search for NTP servers:

ntp
 server
!

show ntp ?

show ntp associations
show ntp status

Probably want to put in your timezone unless you live in the UK, which is the center of the world...

Use the ? to find your timezone options...

clock summer-time
clock timezone us Eastern

You will probably want to configure some other things like SSH, perhaps some VLANS etc.... you might want a baner.

This is just to get you started...

Remember you must SAVE your configuration or it will loose it when you reboot or power-off the device:

write mem
or

Copy run start

If you want to erase the device

Erase startup-config

If you want to reboot:

reload

perhaps:

reload in 20

Maybe schedule the restart in the middle of the night tomorrow (typically used for upgrading the firmware and scheduling a reboot during a maintenance window)

reload at 22:00:00 03-06-19

Show Ver (will get you your serial number).  I am not certain whether or not Ruckus can help you if you didn't purchase through official channels, but you can always ask.

You also have the resource of reading documentation.  Please note most Brocade ICX documentation is applicable to the Ruckus ICX.  These devices also used to be under the Foundry name though I doubt they had a little 12 port unit back then...  regardless most ICX documentation is applicable.

Also you have these forums.

What is it you are trying to do?

netwizz
Contributor III
Are you trying to make this run an Access Point or do something with VoIP.

If doing VoIP, you will most certainly need to know about VLANS, trunking, tagging, native VLAN, LLDP, LLDP-MED etc.  It would depend on how your network is setup and if these are to do VoIP only or VoIP and/or data out of the same port(s).

george_schempf
New Contributor II
NETWizz, thank you for the very detailed solution. I need to get the proper cable because nothing came with it. I'm not using VoIP, just basic smart home stuff (wifi access point, Samsung SmartThings Hub, Ring Doorbell). Primarily I think it's purpose is to provide PoE. The unit cam e as part of a smart home package from Amazon. When you buy a new home from Lennar (the builder) they include this package and contract with Amazon to install and set it up. Of course they didn't leave anything that was in the box. I'm curious to see if they can make the changes required or if they just replace it. Regardless, I will need all of the information you just gave me for the future. Thanks again for your help!

scott_farrand_f
New Contributor III
Wait, so you don't have a console cable. You'll need that to do anything after a factory reset.

Had you ever restarted the system after the installation? (perhaps the configuration wasn't saved by whomever installed your smart home package?)

If you do have CLI access if you're not getting power on your ports, it's possible that it's not enabled on that port.  You really need the console cable.