cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet issue with some sites/apps

david_white
New Contributor II

Some websites & apps (like discord) not working through ethernet.  If I reset the Ruckus switch/WAP, the ethernet & apps work fine until it comes back from reset.  then, it doesn't work again.  Happening on multiple PC's.

Very strange issue, other sites like youtube, yahoo, google, etc work just fine.  have factory reset the Ruckus and the AT&T gateway.  Set the wireless back up and still have same issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

david_white
New Contributor II

created ticket and problem resolved.  Power outage followed by device booting as a router instead of switch.  Tech loaded switch image and everything works fine again.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

1. In our country some  IPTV providers have dedicated ports on customer gateways (Alcatel/Nokia devices) for TV connection, which are not NATed, but bridged to different network and allow just 1 device to be connected ( just 1 IP address is available). If you connect through switch to this port, and switch  has DHCP client enabled,  it will take this single IP available. Than IPTV will not work at all, as it will be unable to get IP address. It's typical issue there.

2. Check your DNS.  If you use Googel DNS, it may fail to resolve some sites (I have seen it a lot recently), it may be technical problem, but may be also blocking of some services. In any case I would recommend to never use Google DNS -- why give google even more info to sell? There is 1.1.1.1 free public DNS which seems not to be collecting and selling your info, and even works better and faster...

eizens_putnins
Valued Contributor II

3. It is very interesting report about switch booting as a router. If it means that ICX boots different, router image (for each version there are 2 different firmware files available -- image name starts with SPS  for switch mode and SPR for router mode), it is not clear how is it possible? 

For my understanding, booting different image can happen only in one case -- if wrong image was already uploaded to switch flash.  Firmware image can't just appear in the flash by some magic -- somebody uploaded it. There are 2 copies of firmware image on switch, they can be different and  reboot or power cycling can activate second image than.  But image has to be uploaded there first anyway! If this was the case (manual upgrade to wrong image), there is an easy fix -- upgrade back to switch image instead of router image. 

Hope it helps.