cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruckus ICX-7150 Dual Mode with R310 Unleashed AP

jacky_fung
New Contributor

I used to run a Wifi network with a Ruckus ICX-7150 that operated under a quite old firmware version (08.0.61a) that still support Dual Mode.

At that time I can config a network like below:

VLAN 1 - Default VLAN in subnet 192.168.1.0

VLAN 2 - port 2 to 5 untagged, port 6 to 10 tagged, in subnet 192.168.2.0, this VLAN is for PC access

VLAN 3 - port 6 to 10 tagged, in subnet 192.168.3.0, this VLAN is for R310 Access Point, and setup as Dual Mode. The R310 APs were connected to Port 6 to 10, and assigned with a 192.168.3.x VLAN 3 IP addresses.

With VLAN 3 setup as Dual Mode, I can access the Unleashed Web Interface from a PC connect to port 2 (an untagged port in VLAN 2).

Recently the ICX-7150 switch was failed, and I got a replacement through warranty claim. That replacement installed with an updated firmware that doesn't support Dual Mode.

When I setup the switch with the above config, I found I cannot access the Unleashed Web Interface from the PC (that connects to port 2, the untagged VLAN 2 port).

I can only resume the web access by assigning the AP with the IP Address of VLAN1 subnet (192.168.1.x).

I want to confirm if my understand is correct. For such a circumstance, the best and correct approach is to assign the IP addresses of the AP with the VLAN 1, Default VLAN subnet, if the ICX Switch doesn't support Dual Mode.

There is no other way that I can put the Access Point IP back to VLAN 3 subnet based on the current firmware level of the R310 AP.

The maximum unleashed firmware version for R310 AP should be 200.7. I understand from the below link:

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/unleashed-200.13-troublshootingref/page/GUID-06BD65BC-B300-4F74-82...

that the Unleashed firmware version 200.10 or above support an Access VLAN setting in the Management Interface menu. There is an ' Enable VLAN for Management Interface' option that I can specify an Access VLAN ID.

If my APs are new enough to use this firmware, can I put the AP's IP back to VLAN 3 subnet, by specify the Access VLAN ID as 3 when I setup the Unleashed APs?

Thanks for any advises.

Regards,

1 REPLY 1

Chandini
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Jacky_fung

Thank you for reaching us 

Could you please help me with below details from the switch 

• What is the management IP address that is assigned to the AP ?
  • Also please help me with below details from the switch 
    • show vlan br eth <AP port number>
    • show ip int
    • show vlan br eth <PC port>
  • What is the IP address of the PC you are using ? 

Thanks