cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R510 AP and ICX 7150 - APs shutdown and do not power back on

scott_oram
New Contributor III
Here is my setup:
Comporium Zipstream Gigabit fiber main box gets Ethernet from junction box in garage.

The comporium box hands out dhcp addresses and has two built in wifi (2 and 5 GHz) networks enabled.

Lan out of the comporium box goes to the ICX7150 which is connected to two R510s running via POE.  Separate SSID is on the APs

I noticed the AP SSID was dropping, I went to look at the APs and sure enough no lights whatsoever.

So I pulled the plug on the ICX and waited a few minutes and plugged it back in.  

After around 4 minutes the APs come back online, but then after a short time, all the lights go out again and the only thing I can do is pull the plug and power cycle the ICX.

I was able to update unleashed to the 200.6 (latest version I believe).

Beyond what I'm doing I am a bit new to the whole AP \ switch configuration world.

Any ideas as to what is causing this and what my next steps should be?
20 REPLIES 20

matt_pedersen_b
New Contributor II
I recently had a similar issue w/ R510 APs, connected to multiple Brocade ICX 7150 C12P Switches. The problem ended up being related to the "Inline Power" Function. In particular, the "Power Allocation" Levels. 

This Specific Switch Model has 3 Power Classes, each Allocating a Different Wattage.
Class 1 = 4,000 mWatts (4 Watts)
Class 2 = 7,000 mWatts (7 Watts)
Class 3 = 15,400 mWatts (15.4 Watts)

The specific Switch Model we are using has a Power Capacity Level of 124,000 mWatts (124 Watts). After looking at the "Inline Power" Settings on one Stack of Switches, I found that the Maximum 15,400 mWatts (15.4 Watts) was being Allocated to each Port. If you do the math, that will cover about 8 Ports, w/ Nothing Remaining for the Last 4 Ports. Therefore, I initially set the "Power Allocation" Level to 7,000 mWatts on all 12 Ports, which allowed the APs to stay up much longer. However, I ultimately ended up changing the Allocation Level to 10,000 mWatts, which seems to have stabilized the Connected APs.

On another Stack of Switches, I noticed that Only 4,000 mWatts was being Allocated to each Port. This would have been fine, if the APs were to remain at Rest 100% of the time, since they were only Consuming about 3200-3400 mWatts, immediately after restoring them. However, once clients began to connect to the APs and data was being Transmitted, the Power Consumption Levels would inevitably increase, resulting in an "Overload State". Therefore, I did the same w/ these Switches, as I did w/ the Others and changed the "Power Allocation" Levels to 10,000 mWatts.

We're still in the process of monitoring these devices, but thus far, everything seems to be stable.

Obviously, I don't know if this is the same issue that everyone else is having, but it's worth looking into. I would at least check the "Inline Power" Settings.

You can check the "Inline Power" Log, through the CLI (SSH/Telnet), using the following Command.
show inline power emesg  

I would also check the R510 AP Syslogs, via the following CLI Command.
get syslog log

If I manage to find anything else, I'll be sure to post an update.