cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older FCX 648-S - troubleshooting throughput issues, + firmware upgrade questions

chris_wilson_cx
New Contributor II
My office has an older Brocade FCX 648-S from which I'm trying to get more throughput.  It's configured as a layer-3 switch with several VLANs.  I've only been able to get about 150 Mbit sustained throughput from any single client connection.

So far I've double-checked port speed/duplex settings, known-good Ethernet cables, etc.  I tried disabling flow control (no effect).  I'm not really sure what else to try.  I'm fairly knowledgeable on networking in general, but am admittedly not a network engineer or a router/switch configuration expert. 

Any thoughts on how to diagnose where the problem is?  Or, am I really just dealing with a function of old hardware? 

The switch is currently running software version 7.0.01b.  I see there is an 08.0.30t version on the Ruckus site.  Should I try upgrading, and if so, is it safe to jump straight to the latest version?

Thanks,

-Chris
4 REPLIES 4

jijo_panangat
RUCKUS Team Member
Hi Chris,

Its recommended to load 8030t as its much stable code than the old release and re run the test. Pls refer the release notes for the steps when you jump from a lower release and prefer tools like iperf for throughput testing. Its difficult to comment on the reported problem without understanding the connectivity details, device involved, packet size etc.. It would be great if we can get remote access to the switch for debugging.

Thanks
Jijo 

chris_wilson_cx
New Contributor II
Hi Jijo,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll focus on getting the software updated to the 8030t version and then post back with status.  We may be able to arrange remote access as well; thank you for offering that.

-Chris 

chris_wilson_cx
New Contributor II
I'm happy to report that simply upgrading the firmware to 8030t solved the problem!  I'm now getting a steady 492 Mbit throughput - to the internet - from the same client devices (and the office internet service is "only" 400 Mbit!).

Thanks again!

-Chris

jijo_panangat
RUCKUS Team Member
Glad that issue is solved:) 

- Jijo