cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICX7650 in stack mode - switch image change to router image considerations

dawidku
New Contributor III

We have 2 sets of stacked ICX7650 switches running firmware 08095j switch image and we have to change them to router image. 

I understand we have to go with the same version 08095j but I am not sure what else do we have to consider for this upgrade. 
Will all the settings convert from switch image into router image without issue?
What sort of downtime can we expect?

Any hints will be really appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

BenBeck

Most items will have the exact same syntax and nothing special is needed when changing to the routing image. The major exception is IP addressing. On the switching image, you generally have a globally defined IP address. This address *will not* convert to the routing image. My suggestion would be to boot into the routing image while physically consoled to the stack. Once you are booted to the routing image, you will need define a new IP address. These are the most common options:

1) VE interface

2) out of band mgmt port

3) routed interface

Further explanations can be found in the L3 guide here:

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/fastiron-08095-l3guide/page/GUID-D453EF8F-6F32-43CF-97BE-F7BA9E58D...

This section shows making a VE, but the guide has other examples as well.

Note: Port addressing is now x/x/x (example there is outdated)

Hope that helps!

Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

View solution in original post

Hey @dawidku 

Upgrade procedure is the same for a stack. The only extra step I would take is issuing a 'show flash' after the copy to ensure it copied to all units. It can take a little extra time to copy to all units. The procedure itself is the same as a single unit, however.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

BenBeck

Most items will have the exact same syntax and nothing special is needed when changing to the routing image. The major exception is IP addressing. On the switching image, you generally have a globally defined IP address. This address *will not* convert to the routing image. My suggestion would be to boot into the routing image while physically consoled to the stack. Once you are booted to the routing image, you will need define a new IP address. These are the most common options:

1) VE interface

2) out of band mgmt port

3) routed interface

Further explanations can be found in the L3 guide here:

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/fastiron-08095-l3guide/page/GUID-D453EF8F-6F32-43CF-97BE-F7BA9E58D...

This section shows making a VE, but the guide has other examples as well.

Note: Port addressing is now x/x/x (example there is outdated)

Hope that helps!

dawidku
New Contributor III

Thank you Ben

So no other possible issues due to the fact that switches are stacked?

Hey @dawidku 

Upgrade procedure is the same for a stack. The only extra step I would take is issuing a 'show flash' after the copy to ensure it copied to all units. It can take a little extra time to copy to all units. The procedure itself is the same as a single unit, however.