cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICX 7750-48 configuration question

jay01
New Contributor

Hi All,

I need to configure and deploy an ICX 7750-48 port switch as an Edge switch and uplink it to an Extreme 5420 switch core switch.   Normally we use an ICX 6450 as an Edge layer 2 switch but these are now no longer in use and need to urgent configure the 7750 instead.  

Is it possible to convert it to a layer 2 switch ?  I noticed I cannot give the switch an IP address.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chandini
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Jay01

Thank you for reaching us.

Yes you can use 7750 as a layer 2 switch. Validate the code running in the switching using "show version" command.

If you notice the code is a "SWR" its a router code and if its a "SWS" its a switch code. 

You can also check "show flash" to see if the SWS code is in primary or secondary flash of the switch.

If you see the "SWS" code in one of the flash then use the below command to boot the switch from that flash.

• device# boot system flash <primary or secondary>

If both flash have SWR image then you would have to upgrade the switch to run in SWS code to have it just as a L2 switch.

Other option is the use "SWR" code and use the setup mentioned in the link below. It will help you do the initial settings in SWR code. The switch model is different but the configuration would remain the same. 

Thanks 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Chandini
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Jay01

Yes you can use 7750 as a layer 2 switch. Validate the code running in the switching using "show version" command.

If you notice the code is a "SWR" its a router code and if its a "SWS" its a switch code. 

You can also check "show flash" to see if the SWS code is in primary or secondary flash of the switch.

If you see the "SWS" code in one of the flash then use the below command to boot the switch from that flash.

• device# boot system flash <primary or secondary>

If both flash have SWR image then you would have to upgrade the switch to run in SWS code to have it just as a L2 switch.

Other option is the use "SWR" code and use the setup mentioned in the link below. It will help you do the initial settings in SWR code. The switch model is different but the configuration would remain the same. 

Thanks 

jay01
New Contributor

Hi Chandini,

Thank you for quick response. The current firmware version is 08.0.95aT243.  I will need to check the flash and confirm SWS code.  In regards to configuring an IP address I completely forgot about the ve interface with SWR code.   Thank you for reminding me.

On a side note I have configured a lag and allocated 10g port 1/3/1 on icx7600-xgf-40g-module.   Can I use 10g stacking cable to uplink to an Extreme 5420 10g SPF+ uplink port ?  will this work or should I use LC-LC to fibre SFP+ transceiver instead?  

Chandini
RUCKUS Team Member

Hi Jay01

If the specifications of transceiver is matching on both vendors it would be able to work. You can validate the transceiver connection details using commands

• show media validation
  • show logging | inc <port number>
  • show statistics eth <port number>
  • show interface eth <port number>
  • dm optic <port number> eeprom

Thanks 

jay01
New Contributor

Hi Chandini,

I have installed layer 2 code GZS08095a and uplinked ports 1/3/1 and 2/3/1 on 7600 10g module to Extreme switch.  The ports are up but I cant ping extreme switch.   If I connect an old 6540 layer 2 switch same config it works fine.  
Is this anything to do with ICX-7750-48P-L3-Base ?  Or License issue ? or ICX 7600 module installed with 7550-48P module ? Not sure where to check.

I have port 1/3/1 uplinked using brocade 10g sfp+ fibre and other port 2/3/1 connected using brocade 10g twinax stacking cable both media validated.